Coral Fang review by The Distillers

• Released: Oct 14, 2003
The Distillers: Coral Fang

Coral Fang is a change from the Distillers other work, in that it's not as abrasive. Don't get me wrong, it's abrasive, with both subject matter and sound, it's just not AS abrasive as Sing Sing Death House was. This album deals with the pain of breaking up, and shows several different emotions on the matter, including sadness, anger, bitterness, and the feeling of waste and sacrifice, not to mention desperation. Lyrically it is somewhat violent, comparing feelings to bloody knives and exposed hearts, and just blood in general. Brody's vocals are incredibly raw, with a lot of singing and vocalizing, and not as much screaming as Sing Sing Death House. The vocals are very good though, with different elements throughout the album. If you think about the subject matter though, this is the most fitting way to do it.

The lyrics are somewhat cryptic, but if you look into Brody's personal life, they start to make sense. At the time of the albums creation, she was just getting out of a relationship with Rancid's Tim Armstrong, and jumping into a new one with Queens of the Stoneage's Josh Homme. Full of sometimes violent feelings and sometimes loving ones, Brody delivers lyrics that are nothing short of raw and real.

While I do enjoy Sing Sing Death house, I'd say Coral Fang is my favorite album of the Distillers. I find myself comparing this album to a mix of Nirvana's In Utero and Hole's Live Through This. The most impressive songs from the album in my opinion, would probably be Drain The Blood, Dismantle Me, Die On A Rope, and The Gallow is God. But in all honesty, I like them all so much. I love the abrasive quality it has, even when it's not constant screaming. I would definetly buy this album if I lost it or something, because it's a very enjoyable listen.