Coral Fang review by The Distillers

• Released: Oct 14, 2003
The Distillers: Coral Fang

I have always been a fan of such punk bands such as the clash and the sex pistols, but I think the distillers take punk to a new level and show us that it isn't just about the quick chords and the droning vocals. There are no real amazing guitar or drums solos but this simplicity gives the album a great sound and it allows you to truely appreciate the vocals which I think dominate this band. The altogether style of the album is generally punk with such songs as 'drain the blood' and 'beat your heart out' however the last track called 'death sex' is a noise track and last 12 minutes and 17 seconds. The album reached only #46 in the UK album charts, however I think it could have reached the top 10, but this is because it is an acquired taste and does not fit in very well with this modern day indie scene, but that's what punk is about. The artwork on the cover of the album appears very crude, but it siuts the image of the album which I think is "F@ck the world" however they did make a censored cover but this is quite rare to come across. If you have ever heard this band it is likely you heard them on tony hawks undergroud 2 where they contributed 'beat your heart out' to the soundtrack.

The vocals I think are what makes this album stand out from all the other albums, not only is brody dalle a beauty herself, but her vocals are beautiful too. not because she can hit high notes or have a strong feminine voice, it's because she has a ballsy voice which suits the strong, fast sound of the band and it is quite masculine for a female's voice. she has a gritty voice that is a rariety to come across nowadays. she also shows that she can sing slowly and softly at the start of the song 'the hunger'. the lyrics themseleves are also brilliant and give you an insight into the album, especially the song 'the hinger' it has such a slow melancholy feel to it accompaning lyrics such as "holy eyes I never knew I'd beg down at your feet" you can understand this in many different ways but it gives me the idea of a lonely life.

This album does not compare to other artists because it is completely on it's own, there are no other vocalists like brody dalle because she has her own sound which cannot be categorized, but for the sake of making life easy it can only be categorized as punk. the real songs that stand out on this album are 'drain the blood' and 'the hunger' because of the energy shown in the former and the power and emotion in the latter. What I love about this band as you may have guessed is the vocalist brody dalle, however I also love the way the music compliments her voice and altogether it sounds amazing. Although I will say I am not a fan of the last song 'death sex' because I am not much of a an of noise rock, however it makes me feel so laid back and lazy which is good in itself. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy a new one because my album is my own instead I would track down the thief and beat the crap out of him until it is given back. I would not even think about losing this album.