The Distillers review by The Distillers

• Released: Apr 25, 2000
The Distillers: The Distillers

Raw. Only that word can describe this album. This is where brody lets her emotions entangle with her guitar rifts and the edgy sound on songs such as 'Open Sky' and 'Red Carpet And Rebellion'. This is where we hear a straight 4 chord guitar riff made into a beautiful melody of Brody Dalles troubled past and raw emotion from the genuienley troubled life experience Dalle has within her.

The lyrics on this album are some what different to those on sing sing death house and coral fang. These lyrics reach into brodys past, relating to us, but written about brodys past life. Here we feel a certain connection with brody because of this. Ofcourse, Dalle, is 'the new Courtney Love', as so many reveiwers have put it. Brody, how ever, should not be compared to Courtney in anyway. They posses similarities yes, such as a deep husky voice and a deep throatle scream, but Brody's voice has so much more raw emotion and anger then courtneys.

Life dalles ex-husbands band rancid, the distillers songs (especially on this album) are not all the same. This, therefore, appeals to people who like bands such as Rancid, The Devotchkas, Anti-Flag, Bad Religion and Nofx. Women need a princess of punk to look up to, one whom they can idolise with out her being drug addicted like Courtney, or old like blondie (god love her), brody is the girl, she is the distillers. This album is a lyricall and musical masterpeice. However, I do not reccomend this as introduction to the distillers, try sing sing death house, which has a sound more in between Coral Fang and The Distillers. If this album was stolen I'd go back and buy 2 more, for there are only things to love about it.