Gold Medal review by The Donnas

• Released: Oct 26, 2004
The Donnas: Gold Medal

Gold Medal is the Donnas' new record. I have to say this is one of my favorite Donnas CDs. The band matured and changed alot (in a good way) but still kept it's originality. The album is a bit "slower paced" then the others because of Torry's (drummer) tedonitis. Either way, they wanted a slower album and in an interview, Allison (the guitarist) said that Torry's tedonitis gave her and the band an oppurtunity to explore new sounds. All the insturments sound great and there is much more Bass creativity. Maya (bassist) has many intros and more diversity in her bass playing. Allison still delivers her awesome solos in every song. (A fresh Batch of solos) Brett's(singer) lyrics have become a bit dark and more matured. I prefer these lyrics even though the Donnas older lyrics were fun to listen too. Torry plays different percussion insturments including the cow bell and many others. In my opinion, all of them grew in their musical ability.

Like I said above, Brett's lyrics grew darker. In another interview they also said the whole album was darker. Brett seems to be singing about things that are more important to her and the band then before. Brett stated in an interview that "Fall Behind Me" was about the record industry and "Revolver" was about deciding when to stand up to yourself.

I think this album is one of their best right up there with Spend The Night. Of course, this album is more mature and personal. I think all their musical ability is better in this album. I absolutely love every song but my favorites are: Friends Like Mine, The Gold Medal, Out Of My Hands, Have You No pride, Revolver and It Takes One To Know One. I love everything about this CD even the cover art. The only thing that I don't like is that it is only about 34 minutes but I cherish every minute of it! If it were stolen or lost I would buy another immediatly even though I already made a copy of it for myself. I hope the next Donnas record can top this one! Rock on Donnas!