Spend The Night review by The Donnas

• Released: Oct 22, 2002
The Donnas: Spend The Night

As a classic rock fan, this album has some of the best guitar sounds I've heard in quite a while. The Donna's guitarist, Allison Robertson, is obviously a classic rock fan as well, judging by the Rolling Stones-like chord progression in "Please Don't Tease", the AC/DC-influenced "Take It Off", and other more original, but classic, riffs in songs like "It's On The Rocks","5 O'clock In The Morning" etc. Robertson's soloing style, while obviously influenced by the likes of Angus Young and Ace Frehley, is never-the-less her own, check out the solo on "You Wanna Get Me High" for proof. Such solos and Robertson's great tone are the album's strongest points.

It's apparent that the Donnas haven't lost their penchant for writing songs about getting drunk, high, laid, or all of the above. Such lyrics are a long way from the Doom & Gloom subject matter of most mainstream Rock, and, depending on what side of the fence you're on, that could be a bad thing. Singer Brett Anderson has only a mediocre voice, and even songs about sex can get redundant after a while.

As I said, the lyrics and vocals are only so-so, but the cool riffs and solos more than make up for that. The album's best songs are, "Take It Off", "Too Bad About Your Girl", "Please Don't Tease", and "Take Me To The Backseat". I would definitely buy this album again if I lost it, and I recommend to anyone who plays guitar.