An American Prayer review by The Doors

The Doors: An American Prayer

For Doors fans, the record An American Prayer is anot only hard to find in most record stores, but it's also an acquired taste. American Prayer consists of Jim Morrison's spoken word poetry recorded on his birthday, December 8, 1970, in a Los Angeles studio. In 1978, seven years after his fatal death, the remaining Doors found these recordings and decided to put music behind them. The music of the record itself compliments the poetry very very well. The band members themselves experiment with funk, blues, jazz, and straight up psychedelic rock.

Overall Jim's poetry is the main focus here. His deep introspective words on tracks like 'Angels and Sailors', 'Stoned Immaculate', and 'Dawn's Highway' are filled with references to his visions of the world and his childhood memories, mixed with the clever and sometimes odd characters he creates. This is no picnic for the casual Doors fan expecting to her spoken word like the intro to "The Soft Parade" though, this an intense listening experience that can leave you gasping for breath, or shedding a tear.

An American Prayer is in a league of its own, you can't really group it with the previous records put out by The Doors, but you can compare to the other poetic voices that the Doors included on their records (for example; Celebration Of The Lizard). I really like that they included a live 'Roadhouse Blues' as well, it really kicks the album into high gear as we prepare for the rest. I think that An American Prayer is the creme de la creme of listening experiences, it's an album, but it's also a brilliant ride into the mind of The Lizard King. I searched long and hard for this album and if somebody stole it, I'd be furious.

Cobalt Blue
    this album's great. he has some ****ed up poems. i had to read 2 poems at school. i read The Movie, and that one my hendrix letter to a room full of mirrors or something.
    MXFNCK
    it's so amazing. Listen to 'the severed garden' and you'll find out what life's about
    emoleafsfan
    I want the severed garden played at my funeral. It's one song that really gets me.