Live In Europe 1968 [DVD] review by The Doors

• Released: Oct 21, 1998
  • Content: 7
  • Production Quality: 7
The Doors: Live In Europe 1968 [DVD]

Filmed during their 1968 European tour, The Doors are captured in performances in London, Stockholm, Frankfurt, and Amsterdam. Paul Kantner and Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane, who shared the bill with The Doors on this tour, narrate this compilation. The sound is good - digitally remastered with Dolby 5.1 Surround sound bring the music alive.

Content — 7
Their isn't enough content to shake a stick at. Doors completists will purchases this DVD to say they have all their stuff. You get the songs, some weak interviews with Jefferson Airplane, and a couple of clips of Morrison walking around aimlessly talking to fans in the crowd. The track list is as follows: 01. Light My Fire/Main Title 02. Love Me Two Times 03. Back Door Man 04. Spanish Caravan 05. Hello, I Love You 06. When The Music's Over 07. Unknown Soldier 08. Light My Fire (2) 09. Five To One 10. Alabama Song.

Production Quality — 7
This is where the DVD really falters. 1968 camera work hinders the Doors' performance greatly. I guess you cant discredit it too much, they worked with the technology they had at the time, which wasnt much. This DVD also shows a more innocent side of rock, as you see a great band performing without hair stylists, wardrobe coordinators, dance choreographers, and all that other junk.

The track list features, what one would think, to be a hit list of songs. Unfortunatley, the band doesnt give justice to their own works. The DVD states that "The Doors swept through cities of London, Stockholm, Frankfurt, and Amsterdam." At most they took a weak stroll though these cities, high on pot. Its the same old, stumbling, bumbling camera work with random close ups of Jim Morrison reciting poetry to, what seems like, nobody. There is a serious lack of energy in this DVD, and thats saying something when tlaking about Jim Morrison. Dont get me wrong, I love The Doors, alot, and I thoroughly enjoyed some songs like "Spanish Caravan" and "Light My Fire," but I would feel bad recommending someone else to buy this, there is much better Doors stuff out there.