Morrison Hotel review by The Doors

• Released: Feb 20, 1970
The Doors: Morrison Hotel

Morrison Hotel was a 'back to basics' record for The Doors. At the time, Jim Morrison was facing criminal charges for indecent exposure at a concert in Miami in 1969 and was spiraling deep into excessive alcoholism that had been building since the recording sessions for 'The Soft Parade' a year earlier. In my mind Morrison Hotel is the best all around record the Doors put out. It's got a bit of blues, a bit of jazzy psychedelia, and a bit of rock.

Jim Morrison really kicked himself into overdrive for the lyrics on this record, sighting criticism from fans that the lyrics on the last record (The Soft Parade) were just recycled reworkings of past songs. He experimented with different lyrical themes and they really bring the record back into the league of their debut or 'Strange Days'. The words really flow with the music because the band (Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger, and John Densmore) really work hard to make the instruments flow with what melody or lyrics Morrison has created. Jim's not a phenomenal vocalist, but his voice fits the band extremely well.

Overall, Morrison Hotel is a classic record. From its high energy opener, 'Roadhouse Blues', to the slower and more peaceful 'Blue Sunday', to the very experiemental 'Indian Summer', the Doors never cease to amaze with Morrison Hotel. The only track on here that isn't totally jaw dropping is probably 'You Make Me Real'. I don't know what it is but it just never strikes me as a classic Doors song. That being said, the songs flow together extremely well. If anybody stole this record I would buy it again immediately.

abcdlmnopxyz
    Great Doors album with a nice bluesy touch. Maggie M'Gill and Peace Frog are my favorites here.