The Doors review by The Doors

• Released: Jul 6, 1992
The Doors: The Doors

This band has the ultimate '60s and '70s sound if you ask me. What is amazing though is that they still stand up against the likes of newer bands to arrive on the scene. I can still listen to The Doors in pride and feel like I belonged there, right there and then, right when he wrote it. The haunting effects and organ solo's scare me everytime I listen to it. There are so many emotions that are drawn out from listening to this album that I am exhausted by the end of every listen, in a good way of course. Everyone knows how influential this band are, but I don't think they recieve enough credit for their abilities to write complicated and interesting music. They are a truly inventive band, often using different instruments and sonic tones to create atmospheres of all sorts. It's hard to pin down what excatly is the major force behind that theory, mnaybe it's just an overall use of dynamics that make it so.

Jim Morrison was of course, as everyone knows, a master in the lyrical department. He penned some of the most brave, bold, poetic and beautiful lines known to mankind. The words "show me the the way to the next little girl" are so daring but meaningful you feel a sense of overpowering attachment to Jim, even though it is an obviously odd line. That is what I truly love about The Doors, there are no other bands that can create so many guttsy images and emotions all in the space of under 40 mins, but yet still lend some expert musical styles with simple but cool solos like End Of The Night or Back Door Man (Those bends are just astonishing) to the mix. The love story behind Let My Fire is complemented by an over the top and slightly over bearing organ solo. This, in my opinion really shows how relationships can be wonderful but arduace and sometimes unpleasant but obviously well worth it!

This album is the Master Of Puppets of the Metallica world or White Pony of the Deftones world, or the Revolver of The Beatles world or maybe the Are You Experienced by Jimi Hendrix. It's absolute diversity and both lyrical and musical genius will be loved by so many people for years to come. The feelings this album, or even band evoke are so strong that everytime I here The End I just can't help but imagine the horrific scenes of Apocalypse Now and the poetic genius that lurks within. Whether you more into the Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath side to the '60s or not, there is much to be gleaned from this band and more importantly, this ground breaking and mood alternating album. A true work of stoner magic!

keef_the_riff
    i have listened this album over 100 times.does that tell anything?And i turned most of my friend and my gf to the doors using this album.It's my fav album along with exile.
    Smithsc
    Jibbs wrote: How could you give it a "9" and then say it only has two tracks? This album isn't their best, but it has plently of good songs.
    I agree, what a sh*tty review!
    Smithsc
    how can this album get only a 9? it deserves a 10, hands down no questions asked!