The Soft Parade review by The Doors

• Released: Jul 18, 1969
The Doors: The Soft Parade

The Doors' 1969 follow-up from 'Waiting for the Sun' is very different to previous efforts, mainly because the song-writing is shared by Jim Morrison and Robby Kreiger. The skills of the band as a whole seems amost lost, and the listener can hear the separation between members. 'The Soft Parade' is right between the Doors' eery phase and coming into their blues phase. One would think that this culmination of styles would make for a better sound, but unfortunately the band seems to lose something in the transition.

Morrison's lyrics are somewhat weaker than previous efforts, but the tole from drugs and heavy drinking has slightly changed his voice. Interestingly, Robby Kreiger supplies some vocals on tracks like 'Runnin' Blues'.

Standout tracks on the album include: Tell All The People - opening track, has a big band (Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin) vibe, very different to previous Doors' tracks; Touch Me - classic Doors, first hit to feature Saxophone; Wild Child - really cool slide guitar thing happening, very blues based. The Soft Parade - long track in the tradition of songs like 'The End'. Classic opening dialogue.

huskypuppydog
    There best album. next to their first one. In this you get the best tracks that I can remember. on this i get my favorite track Running blues.
    Smithsc
    I love touch me, one of their greatest. I like the fact that they experiment with orchestral instruments, shows true creativity and imagination. Good album.