Royal Society Review

artist: The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster date: 03/12/2008 category: compact discs
The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster: Royal Society
Release Date: Jan 18, 2005
Label: Universal
Genres: Rock
 8.9
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Royal Society Reviewed by: AngryGoldfish, on march 12, 2008

Sound: This is a band of true chintzy. Their careless disregard for the industries common sounds are not just a statement of obvious detachment from the norm, but a proud slogan of sleazy punk-rock, whatever, "stonerizmse"! The opening song Rise Of The Eagles is a fitting opener and would also bunk itself neatly in a Ramones song, or a Muderdolls album. it's breakneck swagger and odd changes combine, with it's swaying bass line, to create an immense track of absurd abandon. The following song is on a totally different plane altogether. The Sinatra style vocals and marching beat with a simple melody in the foreground of the mix, is an excellent example of this bands obscure diversity and brave demeanor. This is possibly the albums best track. The remaining songs are all of quality construction and devilish attitude. With hints of classic Indie favored by the likes of Razorlight and Maximo Park but with a far more punk edge. Most likely conjured from bands like Joy Division, The Ramones, Madness and The Misfits. there's a variety of fast, classic punk songs with the addition of Eighties Matchbox's weirdness. A array of slow, trudging, psychedelic songs that beg you to sing along, like the awesome The Dancing Girls and Drunk on the Blood. The 3/4 timing on Drunk on the Blood is also a display of instrumental ingenuity, and proof that this band are able to switch things around a bit, to add that extra little bite! The otherworldly bends in I Rejection is also affirmation of the fact that this band derive a lot of their ideas from the more sideways bands. // 8

Lyrics: "What do we do with the puppy dog's tails? What do we do with a bucket of snails? What do we do with a boy like you? We put them in a pot and throw them on the fire." Puppy Dog Snails. What needs to be said about this crazy band. "I'm on my own so I guess I'm playing with myself today." This is a line that places this band in a respectful state bravura! Their brave lyrics are so catchy and honest you have no choice but to love them! Although the singer doesn't have the most easiest voice to listen to. The low moaning become grinding after a short time. But he can obviously hit the right notes and it coincides with the similar styling of the rest of the band, so it's clearly forgivable. "Give me some pie. Give me some love cause' I feel like a dead man." // 9

Overall Impression: This is certainly more varied than their previous, more punchy album Horse Of The Dog. The spectacular Puppy Dog Snails, the coolly titled, I Could Be An Angle and Frued's Black Muck are among the best on this 13 track album. The length of this album beats their previous effort which ended to soon. The quirky changes and choice of punk and slow tunes is very well executed and delivered with such style and lack of grace that it's laughable! There is no other album that I own that has this much, cadaverous excitement. // 9

Comments