Black Tape review by The Explosion

• Released: Oct 5, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
The Explosion: Black Tape

"Black Tape" is the Explosion's latest album, released in 2004. After hearing this record, you can tell these guys are trying to be different than bands that are considered "punk" today. The sound of the album is pretty standard punk. Pretty much made up of power chords, accompanied by fast tempo drumbeats and bass. There aren't too many tricks here, so songs can get boring and repetitive. Though this is true, the album does have its excitement and high points.

The lyrics in this album are probably the main factor that sets it apart from other artists today. You can definitely see where these guys got their inspiration and ideas from their music. The lead singer, Matt Hock, doesn't have the most exciting or distinctive voice, but he can get his message across. I find myself shouting along to the lyrics of "No Revolution."

In my opinion, the album is pretty solid, and refreshing. These guys aren't singing about how their hearts are broken or why isn't life fair. They're trying to bring back the sound of old punk bands that we don't hear enough of today. It's great to hear some new material, but like I said, it does get boring. There aren't to many songs that "stick out" or grab my attention. If I lost the album I probably wouldn't go out of my way and spend more money on it, but I would be bummed. The Explosion is just trying to make a name for themselves, and I am very interested to see what they will produce in the future.