Akeldama review by The Faceless

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
The Faceless: Akeldama

The Faceless are a brutal kick you in the balls then say they're sorry while right after proceeding to do so again type of band. Each song puts out exactly what you would expect to be heard out of typical tech death metal band, fast and technical drumming(Nick Pierce), accompanied by brutal and crazily relentless guitar(Micheal Keene, Steve Jones) riffs through out the entire album(Leica, All Dark Graves) then have a certain melodic touch that just seems to make you want to smile in pure inebriation(the rest of the album).There are also parts that have accompanying keyboard pieces that fit in nicely. The album has a instrumental song(akeldama) which unfortunately I find myself skipping over more then others because of a very misused vocoder piece used at the beginning and towards the end, but don't get me wrong otherwise akeldama is the most versatile song on the album and is actually quite good.

Typical death metal lyrics about death, murder all that fun stuff not uplifting but hey it wouldn't be death metal with out them.The albums vocalist Derek Ryduist has hella f--kin balls to the wall awesome low growls then the partnering higher pitch growls that anyone would wish they had. I would not call them deathcore but hey if really want to, then whatever helps you sleep at night.He does a formidable performance through out the entire album.The growling is accompanied by some brief clean vocals(Pestilence) which does not sound half bad. For some though I fear will act as though he committed blasphemy by not following the standard death metal vocal code.The only thing that should have been left out was the vocoder piece in the albums self titled song that just seems to radiate a incredibly cheesy vibe.

Ah overall an extremely satisfying album every song brings something to the table, if you like death metal you will love this album and wish there were more albums out there like it, and if you don't then go dig up your grand papa's marching band records and give them a go through because you would most like enjoy them. If it was lost or stolen, I would buy one for my car, one for my friends car, and f--k it buy another thirty as Christmas presents for friends and family.

destrukto spin
    Upon_Belail
    destrukto spin wrote: this album melts my face with its sheer awesomeness. cant wait to see em in vancouver on the 10th. if anything cannible corpse should be opening for the faceless and obscura
    I could not agree more lol
    x iReGzZ x
    Leica is rediculous, the song is completly epic. Listen to that shit when you're blazed is ****ing heaven.