Unicornography review by The Falcon

• Released: Sep 26, 2006
The Falcon: Unicornography

This "supergroup" is exactly what it implies, super. Lead singer and guitarist, Brenden Kelly (formerly of The Broadways and Slapstick), is currently in the Lawrence Arms, along side the drummer of this project, Neil Hennessy (also of the Lawrence Arms). Hennessy also provides some backing vocals. They are joined by Dan Andriano, from Alkaline Trio (formerly of Slapstick and Tuesday). Andriano provides his bass and vocal skills for this album. They were supposed to be joined by former Rise Against guitarist, Todd Mohney, but due to scheduling conflicts, he was unable to attend recording sessions. Brenden Kelly's voice is very unique, and weird sounding. Some may argue that he just has a bad voice, but he just has a unique style, in my eyes. I love the various usage between acoustic and electric guitar. It gives the album a lot of variety. Neil Hennessy, as always, did great on the drums. I was sad to find out that the bass on the album didn't sound like Andriano's signature sound most noteably heard on Alkaline Trio's Goddamnit. During mixing, I could have said most songs needed more bass. Neil Hennessy recorded the album, with the help of Matt Alison (recorded Alkaline Trio's Goddamnit). It was self produced with the help of Alison as well. As many could figure out, judging from the members and their former projects, this album is mostly punk rock. Of course there are some hints of various other styles including a hint of ska, bringing back memories of the Slapstick days. Overall this is a great album and a must have for any Lawrence Arms or Slapstick fan and even just a fan of punk rock.

I read the lyrics in the booklet. One downside to Kelly's unique voice, is most of the time you can't tell what he is saying. However, you can definitely tell once you have read the lyrics. I thought the lyrics, especially the sound of his voice, fit well with the musical style of the album.

Most would compare this album to most Lawrence Arms releases. The song, "Blackout", was added to an Asian Man compilation CD called "Plea for Peace: Vol. 2". I would say that is the most ska influenced song on the album. It really is something you just wanna skank to. Other noteable tracks include "La-Z-Boy 500", "Little Triggers", "The Routes We Wander", "Unicorn Odyssey" (another ska influenced track", and "When I Give The Signal, Run!" I just love this album. I would definitely purchase this album again if I lost it.