Doppelganger Review

The Fall of Troy: Doppelganger
Release Date: Aug 16, 2005
Label: Equal Vision
Genres: Progressive Metal, Thrash, Speed Metal
While a record can't physically change from listen to listen, that sense of spontaneity remains a big part of what makes Doppelganger so powerful.
 Lyrics: 9.4
 9.5
 9.7
 9.3
 1,543
Doppelganger Reviewed by: AmpleSteak, on july 09, 2007

Sound: When I first heard this band 3 years ago I was still into softer classic rock music I thought all music coming out today was crap and I couldn't stand it until I heard Doppleganger. I remember when it had first came out people were saying it was an amazing album and I should check it out. I downloaded one of the songs and started listening closed minded and thought it was just the same old crap. But then after the second time, third time, and fourth time listening the song Act One, Scene One I was shocked it was so amazing I couldn't stopped listening to it. I then finally bought the CD and every track blew my away the heavy gut wrenching screams, catchy melodies and choruses, and the insane riffs were all the perfect combination and had every element of music I enjoy today. The Fall of Troy opened a whole different genre of music for me. I find it amazing how it's just 3 guys yet they have a sound that is out of this world. // 10

Lyrics: Some of the song titles are just funny and weird such as; "We Better Learn How To Hotwire A Uterus" and "Whacko Jacko Steals The Elephant Man's Bones". The lyrics aren't the best I've ever heard but they work with the songs so well it deserves nothing less than a perfect 10. Thom's Singing is amazing and his screams also fit well into each of the songs on this album amazingly enough he does this all while playing complicated riffs. Tim Ward also does some screaming and a little bit of singing. // 10

Overall Impression: This band is so unique and experimental much don't compare to them. The Number 12 looks like you is the only band that comes to mind that has a remotely close sound but The Mars Voltra are somewhat similar to The Fall of Troy too. Doppelganger is an album that has no filler tracks but some stand out tracks in my opinion are: "I Just Got This Symphony Goin'", "Mouths Like Sidewinder Missiles", and "The Holy Tape". What I like some much about this album is it never gets old and every song I listen grows on me more and more over time. If you haven't ever heard of this band I recommend to run out and buy this album! // 10

Doppelganger Reviewed by: Zorrobudday, on december 08, 2005

Sound: If you're a hardcore fan who has been long searching for that band that is still hard, but actually kind of sounds like At The Drive-In, instead of just listing them as an influence, The Fall Of Troy is perfection. In fact, that is exactly how I reacted to Doppelganger the first time I heard it. There is everything: shredding guitars, beautiful melodies, blisteringly speedy runs, jazz drums, and enough screaming to satisfy the harder crowd. Just don't expect straight edge chants. It's like a mix of Botch, The Blood Brothers, and At The Drive-In. // 10

Lyrics: I cannot believe that this guy sings and plays those insane guitar parts at the same time. But it's true. On earlier recordings, FOT's singer sounded a bit like Cedric(of the Mars Volta) in his At The Drive-In years. On Doppelganger, the vocals are a little more polished (whether that's a good thing or not is for you to decide). This reflected positively with me, as I was impressed on how he could include melodic vocals without hitting the listener over the head with cheesy choruses. And for those hardcore fans, the screaming is adequate, if a little bit high-pitched (think Jordan of the blood brothers). Lyrically it's just creepy. // 10

Overall Impression: Honestly, this is one of my favorite CDs this year. For the Mars Volta fanatic who's guilty pleasure is hardcore (or vice-versa, although I don't know why anyone would call mars volta a "guilty" pleasure). Exhilarating stuff. Just don't get it if you don't like it when guitar players like to show off(cause theres plenty of that). // 10

Doppelganger Reviewed by: nothingface187, on march 02, 2006

Sound: When I first heard the intro to the first track on this album, I was instantly hooked. The sound is "emo-ish," with hardcore added in, along with a touch of prog guitars. Their are some wierd sounding guitars, but it is awesome. Oh yeah, you also can hear the bass loud and clear, and the bassist has pretty cool sounding licks. I haven't stop listening to it since I first got it, which is about a month and half ago. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty wierd, but which also has some cool names for the title tracks. There is two vocalists that are singing, one actually sings which is the guitarist, and the bassist does the screaming. But a lot of times I really couldn't make out the words and yet it seem to fit the music very well. // 10

Overall Impression: What is there to be said, After first hearing the opening guitar, I knew this was going to be an awesome album. I've been listening to it for a while now and I still haven't gotten tired of it. It sort of sounds kind of like DEP, but I know people are going argue about this, but thats who they sound like to me. For me, my favorite songs are: I Just Got This Symphony Goin'; Act One, Scene One; F. C. P. R. E. M. I. X., You Got A Death With, Johnny Truant?, and Whacko Jacko Steals The Elephant Man's Bones. If I lost this album, I probably wouldn't buy it again, because it's all ready on my computer. I recommed this album to anyone who is open minded, or like prog rock. // 10

Doppelganger Reviewed by: IlIk2plygUItAr, on october 23, 2006

Sound: The Fall of Troy are the most amazing 3 piece band I know of. The sound is fully of energy, and is constantly changing and morphing into new parts. A striking thing about this CD is that almost every single guitar part is doubled perfectly, and panned all the way left and all the way right. While subtle, this gives the music a cool sound. Although I love this band, some of the songs do seem to go on too long and some of the guitar parts leave something to be desired. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are desent. I wouldn't exactly say they are the best lyrics ever, but they serve the music well and aren't bad. The singing is really good, especially considering the parts he's given himself to sing over. I don't see how he writes such good melodies over complex and wierd riffs. The screaming sounds a little bad and throaty, but it's probably the best scream for this type of music, since it isn't too intrusive. // 7

Overall Impression: This CD will blow you away. The guitar parts are fast and technical, the singing is catchy, the drumming is fast, and the bass player holds down the fort through all of this. The only bands I can thik of that are anything like The Fall of Troy are The Number 12 Looks Like You, and that's actually about it. Some of the songs seem like they are wierd and different just to be wierd and different, but overall this CD is amazing. // 9

Doppelganger Reviewed by: Tomwaits10, on may 22, 2008

Sound: From the opening tapping section in "I just got this symphony Goin'" to the last chilling notes in "Macauly McCulkin" there is not a moment in the album that shows any signs of weakness. Thomas' guitar work is amazing, producing everything from stunning riffs and chaotic noise. Tim's bass playing is very unique and unlike anything I have ever heard. And Andrew's drumming ties it all together with his advanced way of playing the drums fast and creative, not only sticking with regular rhythm patterns. Every song is a masterpiece and amazing to listen to. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are just so indescribable. The songs definatly fit the lyrics. For example-Act One, Scene One, Macaulay McCulkin, Tom Waits, We better learn to hotwire a uterus. Thomas' voice goes all over the place, from quiet, melodic vocals to shrieking vocals. And Tim, adding his screaming, makes it all better. // 10

Overall Impression: If you were to sum up this album in a few words, I would say "Beautiful Chaos". Because that's what it is. The most impressive songs on the CD have to be Macaulay McCulkin, I just got this symphony goin, The Hol[ ]y Tape, and "You got a death wish Johnny Traut?". If my CD was stolen, I would probably buy at least three more times, so it wouldn't get stolen/lost. // 10

Comments