Doppelgänger review by The Fall of Troy

• Released: Aug 16, 2005
The Fall of Troy: Doppelgänger

If you're a hardcore fan who has been long searching for that band that is still hard, but actually kind of sounds like At The Drive-In, instead of just listing them as an influence, The Fall Of Troy is perfection. In fact, that is exactly how I reacted to Doppelganger the first time I heard it. There is everything: shredding guitars, beautiful melodies, blisteringly speedy runs, jazz drums, and enough screaming to satisfy the harder crowd. Just don't expect straight edge chants. It's like a mix of Botch, The Blood Brothers, and At The Drive-In.

I cannot believe that this guy sings and plays those insane guitar parts at the same time. But it's true. On earlier recordings, FOT's singer sounded a bit like Cedric(of the Mars Volta) in his At The Drive-In years. On Doppelganger, the vocals are a little more polished (whether that's a good thing or not is for you to decide). This reflected positively with me, as I was impressed on how he could include melodic vocals without hitting the listener over the head with cheesy choruses. And for those hardcore fans, the screaming is adequate, if a little bit high-pitched (think Jordan of the blood brothers). Lyrically it's just creepy.

Honestly, this is one of my favorite CDs this year. For the Mars Volta fanatic who's guilty pleasure is hardcore (or vice-versa, although I don't know why anyone would call mars volta a "guilty" pleasure). Exhilarating stuff. Just don't get it if you don't like it when guitar players like to show off(cause theres plenty of that).