Doppelgänger review by The Fall of Troy

• Released: Aug 16, 2005
The Fall of Troy: Doppelgänger

When I first heard this band 3 years ago I was still into softer classic rock music I thought all music coming out today was crap and I couldn't stand it until I heard Doppleganger. I remember when it had first came out people were saying it was an amazing album and I should check it out. I downloaded one of the songs and started listening closed minded and thought it was just the same old crap. But then after the second time, third time, and fourth time listening the song Act One, Scene One I was shocked it was so amazing I couldn't stopped listening to it. I then finally bought the CD and every track blew my away the heavy gut wrenching screams, catchy melodies and choruses, and the insane riffs were all the perfect combination and had every element of music I enjoy today. The Fall of Troy opened a whole different genre of music for me. I find it amazing how it's just 3 guys yet they have a sound that is out of this world.

Some of the song titles are just funny and weird such as; "We Better Learn How To Hotwire A Uterus" and "Whacko Jacko Steals The Elephant Man's Bones". The lyrics aren't the best I've ever heard but they work with the songs so well it deserves nothing less than a perfect 10. Thom's Singing is amazing and his screams also fit well into each of the songs on this album amazingly enough he does this all while playing complicated riffs. Tim Ward also does some screaming and a little bit of singing.

This band is so unique and experimental much don't compare to them. The Number 12 looks like you is the only band that comes to mind that has a remotely close sound but The Mars Voltra are somewhat similar to The Fall of Troy too. Doppelganger is an album that has no filler tracks but some stand out tracks in my opinion are: "I Just Got This Symphony Goin'", "Mouths Like Sidewinder Missiles", and "The Holy Tape". What I like some much about this album is it never gets old and every song I listen grows on me more and more over time. If you haven't ever heard of this band I recommend to run out and buy this album!

abhorsen12
    In my opinion Tom Wait's is probably the best track on the album, the opening riff just sounds amazing... and to that moron who said something about the song titles, and fall out boy, they're a prog band, they're allowed to have stupid song titles, fall out boy are a little boy band, they have no reason to have stupid song titles...
    PeruvianSkies
    The guitar tone on this entire album is just terrible. If playschool made guitar gear it would sound like this. I really fail to see the appeal of this band.
    Thapumpkineater
    This is gay, the ST is way better then this CD. This CD has like 4 new songs and the remainder of the songs are re-makes that aren't as good as the original. And the new songs aren't nearly as good as the songs that weren't re-made on the ST. This CD is not a 10...
    HotTamalies743
    Thapumpkineater
    HotTamalies743 wrote: I hate this band they are awful thomas erak is a good guitarist but thats about it other than that they should do us all a favor and stop making music
    This band only took me like 2 listens through Manipulator to get me hooked, and most of the bands I listened to had to be drilled into my head by 35 listens cause my brother wouldn't shut it off. They must have some talent as a band to get me hooked so fast.
    justchillin21
    To all the morons who don't like The fall of Troy- Try playing complicated guitar riffs while trying to sing/scream, it aint so simple like you fall out "crap" music. Doppelganger, best TFOT album yet, these guys simply rock.
    leper_affinity
    abhorsen12 wrote: they're a prog band, they're allowed to have stupid song titles
    Haha, so funny because it's true.
    Paul Carbonella
    PeruvianSkies wrote: Also this band is a far cry from prog.
    Why? Changing tempos, key changes, time signature changes sometimes all in one song, that's Prog to the extreme. They have a very original take on it.
    Fossilized Love wrote: Annoying band. Their tracktitles are more retarded than Fall Out Boy titles. F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.? Give me a break.
    If that's the worst thing you could say, I really don't value your opinion on music. Think of a better reason and I'll be more inclined to believe you.
    y-e-a-r-z-e-r-o
    ****ing amazing band, so creative and energetic... i was seriously very against anything like punk at all accept for some metalcore stuff i was introduced to these guys underoath and enter shikari and i love it all....im looking for some other stuff in this vein!