Doppelgänger review by The Fall of Troy

• Released: Aug 16, 2005
The Fall of Troy: Doppelgänger

From the opening tapping section in "I just got this symphony Goin'" to the last chilling notes in "Macauly McCulkin" there is not a moment in the album that shows any signs of weakness. Thomas' guitar work is amazing, producing everything from stunning riffs and chaotic noise. Tim's bass playing is very unique and unlike anything I have ever heard. And Andrew's drumming ties it all together with his advanced way of playing the drums fast and creative, not only sticking with regular rhythm patterns. Every song is a masterpiece and amazing to listen to.

Lyrics are just so indescribable. The songs definatly fit the lyrics. For example-Act One, Scene One, Macaulay McCulkin, Tom Waits, We better learn to hotwire a uterus. Thomas' voice goes all over the place, from quiet, melodic vocals to shrieking vocals. And Tim, adding his screaming, makes it all better.

If you were to sum up this album in a few words, I would say "Beautiful Chaos". Because that's what it is. The most impressive songs on the CD have to be Macaulay McCulkin, I just got this symphony goin, The Hol[ ]y Tape, and "You got a death wish Johnny Traut?". If my CD was stolen, I would probably buy at least three more times, so it wouldn't get stolen/lost.

The Spoon
    abhorsen12 wrote: In my opinion Tom Wait's is probably the best track on the album, the opening riff just sounds amazing... and to that moron who said something about the song titles, and fall out boy, they're a prog band, they're allowed to have stupid song titles, fall out boy are a little boy band, they have no reason to have stupid song titles...
    Actually, any band is allowed to have stupid song titles. And critisizing a band because of their song titles is just stupid. Its the music that matters, not the title that makes up the song
    !normajean!
    i agree with the Spoon. the song titles dont matter. its the music that matters. besides, i like when bands have funny titles cause it shows that they have humor, unlike some people. amazing album. it blows my mind how he can play these riffs, sing/scream, and be a maniac on stage at the same time.
    sottpwn
    Annoying band. Their tracktitles are more retarded than Fall Out Boy titles. F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.? Give me a break.
    Lol @ his argument. You sir, are the height of intelligance. There is no logical reason why someone who plays guitar can't respect Thomas Erak from TFOT...
    AndyH
    there is so much fanboyism in the comments section of this site it's painful. Anyone criticizing the band being reviewed (for ANY reason) gets chewed to pieces by their rabid fans. I personally enjoy the band, but their song titles ARE stupid. It's a current trend to have "totally non conformist" song names, but in reality you get no sense of what the song's going to be about because the titles have nothing to do with the song. It's not a huge deal but it's a valid criticism.
    Bunyip
    Fucking sweet band couldnt give a **** why genre it is to be honest. If you guys like this band you should deffinately check out a band called SiKth and Dillinger Escape Plan. I have no Idea how that guy can play the shit he plays and still sing the stuff he does...amazing
    GuitarCrazyFrog
    frd_marshll wrote: rearFender wrote: Guitar World Magazine classes The Mars Volta as speed metal Guitar World Magazine is wrong
    jrkulmer
    The song titles may be pretty retarded on this album, but youve got to take your hat off to these guys, how they do this shit live.... wow. And now for a couple of points...
    Thapumpkineater wrote: This is gay, the ST is way better then this CD. This CD has like 4 new songs and the remainder of the songs are re-makes that aren't as good as the original. And the new songs aren't nearly as good as the songs that weren't re-made on the ST. This CD is not a 10...
    Well, thats wrong. 4 of the songs were remade off The Fall Of Troy Album, 1. F.C.P.S.I.T.S.G.E.P.G.E.P.G.E.P 2. Mouths Like Sidewinder Missiles 3. Whacko Jacko Steals The Elephant Man's Bones 4. I Just Got This Symphony Goin' And one, Macaulay McCulkin, was re recorded from the Ghostship demos. The other 6 were new songs. AND, any half intelligent person would have recognised that the name Doppelganger means that its like something else. :\
    wildchild6660 wrote: mark my word, the next album they make will be bullshit
    Capn Crunch
    The Fall of Troy is absolutely progressive. It could be classified as many things. To name a few, grindcore, mathcore, avant-garde. To the guy who said that their next album would be bullshit, I am fully glad that their next album, Manipulator, was ****ing fantastic.
    mike_biro727
    jrkulmer wrote: wildchild6660 wrote: mark my word, the next album they make will be bullshit Oh dear, Phantom on The Horizon was bloody brilliant. And, yes, I know its labelled as an EP, but its as long as quite a few albums, such as I Am Hollywood etc. And I know its reworked from the Ghostship demos following the first self titled album. But still, its amazing.
    Yeah but the next full length was just average at best. Although it has grown on me.