In The Unlikely Event review by The Fall of Troy

• Released: Oct 6, 2009
The Fall of Troy: In The Unlikely Event

The Fall of Troy is not known to stick to one thing. 2005's Doppelganger was a huge hit with the post-hardcore fan base, and 2007's Manipulator, the follow up, was a smack in the face, most notably a good one, for people that hoped they stayed in one place. Expanding their horizon with songs Caught Up and Quarter Past, guitarist/vocalist Thomas Erak, bassist/vox Tim Ward, and Drummer Andrew Forsman all showed just a small taste of what they were capable of. The EP "Phantom on the Horizon" was also a hit with fans, mostly a rerecording of "The Ghostship Demo's". It was also the introductory album with the new bassist Frank Ene, after former bassist/vox Tim Ward departed from the band "mutually". This year The Fall of Troy churned out something completely new, completely original, completely.... unexpected. "In The Unlikely Event", The Fall of Troy's 2009 release, is in many cases different. From the screaming vocals of "Straight-Jacket Keelhauled" to the incredibly catchy and poppy "Single", The Fall of Troy has once again proved themselves as being outside of the box. Most of the bands screaming has also been toned down, a little too much to be exact. It sounds like Thomas's voice is in a box and has been mixed so much that it sounds fake. Or that his passion isn't even there anymore. In "Dirty Pillow Talk", it sounds like guest vocalist Rody Walker from Protest The Hero has more heart in it than the rest of what Thomas puts out. And where is Frank? The only song that really has him out there noticeably is "Straight-Jacket Keelhauled". I think everyone can agree that when Erak and Ward would trade off of each other vocally in the tracks it added more depth to the song. Now it's as if Thomas is alone out there, with exceptions to Ryann Donnelly. Speaking of Ryann, I also believe everyone can agree that she was good in "Phantom on the Horizon", but needs to STAY THERE. She completely off-puts any song on the album with an exception to "Panic Attack!". The female-ness of The Fall of Troy needs to get out. Despite being "different" and "new", it just plain sounds bad when you have demonly screams at the end of "Nobody's Perfect", mixed with some sort of opera crap going on in the background. If your going to be mean and "werewolfish", don't include the estrogen. It's a bad mix. Also, Thomas seems to like the same pinch harmonic alot on this album. Trust me, you'll notice it. Most noticeable on "A Classic Case of Transference" Overall, the sound is pretty good, but lacking what the other albums had partly because of Terry Date and partly because of the band's urge to change and their somewhat love of Ryann Donnelly.

Lyrically, Thomas Erak has been vast and intelligent in his lyrics, From the creepyness of Macaulay McCulkin to the equally creepy yet interesting story of the EP "Phantom on the Horizon", Thomas Erak hasn't failed his fans with something dull. Same goes for "In The Unlikely Event". Here are some fine example's of Erak's ability to create something new and original, out of something old and boring or something that is just plain well written: 03. Battleship Graveyard: "I'm barely here, you're losing your touch my dear.... I'll be sincere, I simply can't hide my fear." 04. A Classic Case of Transference: "Get me off, then get off me. I've had enough of you. Your name, your frame, are nothing new. I don't know who you think you are, you've turned into a whore, we can take this to the floor again" 05. Single: "Dim a shadow of the overpass, (I can see everything is a mess...). If you're happy honey raise your glass, and throw is back, hear it snap, oh how you've fractured my heart once again." 06. Empty the Clip, the King Has Been Slain, Long Live the Queen! (whoo thats long)- "I've been stayin up all night to kill the pain. And you're the one to blame, it drives me insane. If you're seeking closure I can't help you babe. Despite what I might say, today is the day!" 07. People and Their Lives: "The setting sun, shall bring to pass the fun, for everyone, but i don't show anyone. First, I'm the worst, to believe is your real friend, I won't ever leave this bed again." 08. Dirty Pillow Talk: "Pull your hair back, speak in tongues, get what your asking for. You did this to me! You did this to me! And now you feel free!" 09. Nobody's Perfect: ""Well isn't this just odd? After all this shi t, I'm left here contradicting myself again. Everything you said to me, is dead and gone and now you'll see, that some things aren't meant to be. Some things aren't reality... Half the time your full of doubt, half the time you sleep around. And most the time you drink too much, and say things you don't mean, YOU SLUT! But nobody's perfect! Nobody's perfect, right?!" These are just a few examples of what can be heard on the album. It's more straightforward than the other albums, but Erak manages to pull it off.

Each song will be rated on a scale of 1-10 and have 3+ words to get a small taste of what the track is like. I will also note that the song may not be immediately liked, but will be labeled as a "grower". (I might also put down a small lyric that can actually make a song fantastic) 01. Panic Attack!: 8.5 (repetitive, catchy, "wtf" delay break, grower) 02. Straight-Jacket Keelhauled: 9 (angry, fast, "f--king ridiculous", weird sirens, screaming song) 03. Battleship Graveyard: 9 (fast, true "TFoTness", catchy) 04. A Classic Case of Transference: 8 (poppy, catchy, fast, very radio friendly) 05. Single: 8.5 (catchy as HELL, upbeat, nice bridge) 06. Empty the Clip, The King Has Been Slain, Long Live the Queen: 7.5 (very poppy, upbeat, good song for a happy day, grower) 07. People and Their Lives: 7 (boring in the beginning, great guitarwork in middle, kinda... electronic) 08. Dirty Pillow Talk: 9.5 (awesome whammy'd riff, RODY WALKER, great song, grower) 09. Nobody's Perfect: 9 (great shift from poppy to hardcore, "wtf" opera singing Ryann Donnelly, extremely engaging) 10. Webs: 8 (mellow, Black Crowes kinda feel in the chorus, nostalgia inducing, grower) 11. Walk of Fame: 8 (good falsetto, great ending rant, sorta copy paste "BUM BUM, doodly doo" feel) 12. Nature Vs. Nurture: 6 (boring riff, good spoken word part, probably biggest grower on album) Overall, the album is great. I'm almost positive that every time I hear a song, it will only grow on me even more, just like every other song by The Fall of Troy. That is the magic that they somehow pull off every single album. The more you listen, the more you are hooked.