In The Unlikely Event review by The Fall of Troy

• Released: Oct 6, 2009
The Fall of Troy: In The Unlikely Event

Fall Of Troy have always had different sounds on all their CDs. Their debut put them on the radar and the follow-up, Doppelganger, impressed fans and critics alike with it's virtuoso guitar skills and great song-writing. Manipulator, the trio's third album, was a change in direction and incorporated more progressive elements, and even included a blues song. Fan who had loved the screamo madness of doppelganger felt betrayed and looked anxiously to their fourth for a return to the screaming. In the unlikely event is another change in direction, and has a poppy element amongst the post-hardcore songs. The opening track, and song released first, is 'Panic Attack!', beginning with a wah filled riff and launching into a catchy chorus, this is definitely a strong starter to the album. 'Straight Jacket Kneehauled' is an all out attack on the senses with the bassist's, Frank Black, beastly scream yelling 'recover'. This song is reminiscent of 'Rockstar nailbomb' and shows that FoT can still do fast paced screamo. 'Battleship Graveyard' is pure Fall Of Troy, beginning with great singing by Erak and a punishing breakdown in the middle. 'A classic case of transference', despite it's catchy chorus, is the first weak song on ItUE with some cringeworthy lyrics, and one of the more poppier songs of the album. 'Single' is amazingly catchy and begins with a catchy riff and chorus before going into another breakdown, and returning to the chorus. 'Empty the clip, the king has been slain, long live the queen' and 'People and their lives' are pretty mediocre, with odd chants and choruses making the songs feel odd to listen to. 'Dirty Pillow Talk' is one of the best songs on the album, with an effect-ridden riff and Rody Walker lending his vocal talents to the track. Both the band and Walker shine on this track, with tight playing and great vocals. 'Nobodies Perfect' is definitely pop, but at the same time still has the catchiness and great guitar playing that make FoT shine. 'Webs' is a very bluesy song that has is relaxed and has lyrics similar to 'Caught up'. Great guitar playing also helps this track go into 'Walk of Fame', a song that is definitely FoT. The singing is pretty good and the drummer, Andrew Forsman, is great on this. The album finishes on 'Nature vs Nurture', a pretty good song, with a spoken part in the middle by Erak that works pretty well. It's a departure from the 7ish minute long gems found at the end of the other Fall of Troy albums.

The lyrics in this album are a bit hit and miss, they fit in with the music fine, as do most Fall of Troy songs, but the actual words in the lyrics are decent at best apart from 1 or 2 exceptions. The lyrics in past albums were great, but in this album they are not so much. The singing is basically spot on all the way through, Thomas Erak is a great vocalist/screamer and can hit the right note almost all the time. 'Single', 'Battleship Graveyard' and 'Nobody's perfect' have great vocal moments.

This album is difficult to compare to Fall Of Troy's past efforts. It definitely has more developed and mature song-writing than 'Doppelganger' and their debut, yet lacks the kick that 'Manipulator' had in lyrics and musicianship. I love Erak's vocals on this album yet some of the lyrics undermine that. The guitar playing is still great and shows Erak's impressive mastery of singing whilst shredding away on guitar. The rest of the band are tight and the production of the album is pretty awesome. All the instruments come out clearly to me and it sounds great. This is a strong album from The Fall Of Troy, albeit some weak points. It definitely lives up to expectations, despite some concerns about where the Fall of Troy were heading musically. I look forward to seeing how this performed live and what they will produce next.

Boxiii
    I hear a lot of people saying this album is bad, but these reviews were pretty good. I love the album and hope to see these guys soon!
    CephalidHunter
    idle_tooth
    Fuzzycows5157 wrote: Erak is a great guitarist, he just refuses to show it. Every riff on this album blows
    the chorus riff for panic attack is one of the tightest riffs in the history of anything.
    PanicHarmonic wrote: I think the album is fanastic. Instead of comparing this album to the old stuff, why don't you guys look at it for what it is?
    damn straight.
    PanicHarmonic
    GODhimself37
    riveascor I second that.
    you an quote all of those things in one post. you didnt have to repeatedly post your responses
    riveascor
    GODhimself37 wrote: CephalidHunter wrote: this album has a weird classic rock vibe to it. I think "single" is the weakest song on the album while nature vs nurture is the best. Prolly everyone will disagree with me. yup
    I second that.
    riveascor
    f0x_guitarist wrote: guitarist41 wrote: I'm only interested in this because it features Road the Choad. The greatest ****ing singer ever. yeah same here, although i have been wanting to check these guys out
    Then check out Manipulator, and PoTH, those two albums are far better than this one.
    riveascor
    A better version????? Are you kidding me, there's so much lacking in this album compared to Manipulator, this album has no talent when shown against Manipulator. That was an extremely idiot comment, think before you speak, and give it even more thought before you take those words and put them online.
    riveascor
    Holy shit, I totally know what you mean, what ever happened to the shit he pulled off back in Manipulator??? I mean remember sledgehammer, AMAPACP, The Dark Trail, what incredible technicality. The drums were toned down sooooo much on this album, I mean I liked probably 40% of this album, and the rest is just poppy shit (for TFoT at least).
    GODhimself37
    yup
    f0x_guitarist
    yeah same here, although i have been wanting to check these guys out
    guitarist41
    heinrick
    Pretty cool album, but I liked Manipulator better, It had a really cool vibe to it
    fetus989
    I'm in love with this. And I've been a fan since Dopplganger. I love their old and new stuff. They've definitely evolved.
    Dregen
    The Spoon
    I like the album way more only after i sped up Walk of Fame, Battleship Graveyard, and Nobody's Perfect. It was pretty boring to me before that, but i like it.
    Co&Ca11
    Nice review GODhimself, I completely agree with you that this album is a grower.
    TisPyon
    damnn just checked out the song with Rody in it.. blew Thomas Erak out of the water lol
    ExplorerX
    It's a very good album. I too miss the screaming, but this isn't bad. And Even Thomas said on a youtube video from equal vision about the recording, that it is a coming of age album and its more rock oriented, not as metal as some of the previous albums. Im sure that on their next album they will keep some of the new sounds and add more screaming, which we all love from Thomas and Frank. Solid Album. and seriously, "single" is so damn catchy..
    huevos
    riveascor wrote: Dregen wrote: T'was okay. Seems like a rehashed (but better and more funky) version of Manipulator IMO. *cry moar*
    You were probably one of the bandwagoners that hated on Manipulator to seem troo and kvlt. It also seems that people can't have their own opinions, which further cements the idea that you really were part of the bandwagon. Manipulator has some good songs, but it lacked powerful dynamics, even as a standalone piece (Ex-creations and A man. A Plan own though). This (ITUE) is a couple steps in the right direction imo. I prefer the melancholy over the shrill screaming and overdramatic falsetto that was present on Manipulator.
    mixed with some sort of opera crap going on in the background. If your going to be mean and "werewolfish", don't include the estrogen. It's a bad mix.
    I take it you haven't listened to Fragmentary Evidence (Augury)? When Ms. Unexpect comes in, it's quite excellent. Then again, that album had pirate metal vocals (which made it even better). I feel that drums are too low in the mix, especially the snare. It's the main thing that's bothering me, a bit too much. And there's some points were screaming would have be more than appropriate (A Classic Case of Transference).