In The Unlikely Event review by The Fall of Troy

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Oct 6, 2009
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 7
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 8 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.9 (59 votes)
The Fall of Troy: In The Unlikely Event
0

Sound — 8
Look, I know everyone is going to treat this album with a pretty bias opinion or two because they don't stick with their old style, but I say neigh. This album is everything I had hoped for, but still with some disappointing setbacks. The first thing I was angered with was the fact that the breakdown from the live version of "Single" was not included in the album. Also, how the song "The Vomiting Winter" did not show up on the album. Though there were some of these depressing faults, there was also many upsides. The solos that appeared on In the Unlikely Event were magical, and according to Thomas they were made up while he was just freestyling. There were also some pleasant surprises with songs like "Empty the Clip, The King is Dead, Long Live the Queen" and "Dirty Pillow Talk" this album officially became a Fall of Troy album. With the amazing vocals, beautiful guitar sounds and improving drum sounds this album is a very moving album.

Lyrics — 7
Some of the problems I had with Doppelganger was how it was filled with previous tracks that were just altered to sound better. The problem was the parts of the album you wish never happened like the parts that were so crazy it didn't feel like music. With tracks like "You Got a Deathwish Johnny Truant?" and some of "Tom Waits". Another mediocre part was the lyrics which in some parts were great and in others could have been better. As far as In the Unlikely Event goes, the lyrics are more down the earth and agreeable rather than telling a 100% fictional story (not saying that it's a bad thing). Overall the vocals and lyrics on this album kick ass.

Overall Impression — 9
This album I'd have to say is a very crazy ride and has many fun surprises along the way. It never gets boring and it matches up to the standard of The Fall of Troy's innovative style. They're also not afraid to stick up for their beliefs in songs like "Walk of Fame". I think this album is definitely worth getting if you don't already have it and it's very creative as a matured form of The Fall of Troy.

10 comments sorted by best / new / date

    tbrown8890
    This was definitely a step down in my opinion. Wayyyyy too poppy for me. I would of rather they stuck to what they were already good at, which is ridiculous math-rock style playing with crazy guitar and screaming-mixed-with-singing from Erak.
    Dregen
    riveascor wrote: Dregen wrote: T'was okay. Seems like a rehashed (but better and more funky) version of Manipulator IMO. A better version????? Are you kidding me, there's so much lacking in this album compared to Manipulator, this album has no talent when shown against Manipulator. That was an extremely idiot comment, think before you speak, and give it even more thought before you take those words and put them online.
    Maybe you should give some supporting details as to why Manipulator was so much better. I personally thought that this was much more refined, even if poppy. It definitely had more substance and dynamics than Manipulator ever had. Of course, I still think it was a shoddy performance overall. (Oh yeah, didn't you see the 'IMO' part?)
    Rancid69Sublime
    ive only listened to this album once, but i still fail too c why people are hating on it. this is more of an "effects" album. their just experimenting, and people need to chill out and c that technicality isnt everything. Whats even more rediculous is that if people were to listen to any band on the radio and then listen to this album, its still pretty damn technical!
    pnkhrdwndr
    so I have not listened to the first two albums and didn't care for manipulator but this album is really really good screw you all who dis it. I feel that this takes the guitar skill and instead of having good solos and what not it is actual songs
    Dregen
    pnkhrdwndr wrote: so I have not listened to the first two albums and didn't care for manipulator but this album is really really good screw you all who dis it. I feel that this takes the guitar skill and instead of having good solos and what not it is actual songs
    Their old material was technically challenging and the songs were much better written than the ones on this album. You missing out on alot if you haven't listened to ST or Doppleganger. I still think that Doppleganger was their best album overall.
    Dregen
    Rancid69Sublime wrote: ive only listened to this album once, but i still fail too c why people are hating on it. this is more of an "effects" album. their just experimenting, and people need to chill out and c that technicality isnt everything. Whats even more rediculous is that if people were to listen to any band on the radio and then listen to this album, its still pretty damn technical!
    The lack of technicality isn't really the problem I have with this album... It's just boring IMO. I will agree with you though, it was probably just a whole shitload of experimenting. I don't think their quality is diminishing because they're losing their songwriting ability, they're just trying to find their new sound. That or they just don't care anymore. I really hope it's not the latter.
    jtaylor
    riveascor wrote: Dregen wrote: T'was okay. Seems like a rehashed (but better and more funky) version of Manipulator IMO. A better version????? Are you kidding me, there's so much lacking in this album compared to Manipulator, this album has no talent when shown against Manipulator. That was an extremely idiot comment, think before you speak, and give it even more thought before you take those words and put them online.
    God that's such an ignorant thing to say. Manipulator was amazing and guess what this album is? something different. I HATED In the Unlikely Event at first, but it's grown on me so much. This is alot more of a vocal based album, but his guitar work is amazing as always.. You don't have to be ****ing Psyopus to be credible, he's still playing quite demanding stuff, they're just branching out further and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that. EVERY fall of troy release has been so different, and since doppelganger everyone has been complaining, get the **** over it - they are a band that actually wants to evolve constantly and not repeat them selves in the contrived way that so many bands feel obliged to. It's something new to add to an already diverse and amazing catalogue.
    riveascor
    No Huevos, I actually loved Manipulator to an extent I cant even describe. No I wasnt trying to be cultish about my love for The Fall of Troy, I respect even the newfags (if youve been on forchan youll understand that term w/out having to use urban dictionary) who were recently just enlightened to The Fall of Troy. Once again youre wrong, I fully support many of the ideas/opinions on this forum, you probably should have checked first. I totally agree with your second statement. I agree with only your comment about the lack of screaming, I do however miss the falsetto and the fact that Thomas didnt whine when he sang back then. I would say this album is actually a couple steps in the right direction but a 3 hour car trip in the wrong.
    huevos wrote: I feel that drums are too low in the mix, especially the snare. It's the main thing that's bothering me, a bit too much. And there's some points were screaming would have be more than appropriate (A Classic Case of Transference).
    This statement shows how I think a majority of us feel.
    riveascor
    Yeah sorry about that Dregen I did get a little caught up with my love of TFoT, it is after all your opinion.
    jtaylor wrote: God that's such an ignorant thing to say. Manipulator was amazing and guess what this album is? something different. I HATED In the Unlikely Event at first, but it's grown on me so much. This is alot more of a vocal based album, but his guitar work is amazing as always.. You don't have to be ****ing Psyopus to be credible, he's still playing quite demanding stuff, they're just branching out further and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that. EVERY fall of troy release has been so different, and since doppelganger everyone has been complaining, get the **** over it - they are a band that actually wants to evolve constantly and not repeat them selves in the contrived way that so many bands feel obliged to. It's something new to add to an already diverse and amazing catalogue.
    I actually wouldnt say Psyopus is that great of a band, they're sort of talented I guess, but their music isnt anything special. Theyre like a technical version of Bad Acid Trip. What kind of insane chromatic scales are they using, it sounds like they use every note on the guitar in one song. Plus theres no concrete vocal talent. You say TFoT doesnt want to repeat themselves on every album, so why is this the only album that has tons of recycled riffs? I mean obviously you cant always make completely new music, but really theyve recycled sooooo many riffs on ITUE.
    jtaylor
    riveascor wrote: Yeah sorry about that Dregen I did get a little caught up with my love of TFoT, it is after all your opinion. jtaylor wrote: God that's such an ignorant thing to say. Manipulator was amazing and guess what this album is? something different. I HATED In the Unlikely Event at first, but it's grown on me so much. This is alot more of a vocal based album, but his guitar work is amazing as always.. You don't have to be ****ing Psyopus to be credible, he's still playing quite demanding stuff, they're just branching out further and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that. EVERY fall of troy release has been so different, and since doppelganger everyone has been complaining, get the **** over it - they are a band that actually wants to evolve constantly and not repeat them selves in the contrived way that so many bands feel obliged to. It's something new to add to an already diverse and amazing catalogue. I actually wouldnt say Psyopus is that great of a band, they're sort of talented I guess, but their music isnt anything special. Theyre like a technical version of Bad Acid Trip. What kind of insane chromatic scales are they using, it sounds like they use every note on the guitar in one song. Plus theres no concrete vocal talent. You say TFoT doesnt want to repeat themselves on every album, so why is this the only album that has tons of recycled riffs? I mean obviously you cant always make completely new music, but really theyve recycled sooooo many riffs on ITUE.
    ..What? I was saying a band doesn't have to be insanely tech all the time to be good/credible. I really don't think so, there's a lot of variation. I was talking album to album they don't want to repeat themselves, everything about this album is different and I think that's a good thing. I want to know what riffs sound recycled.. I can only think of the opening riffs of battleship graveyard and walk of fame, which go in two really two directions. Him using a call and response chord/fill riff isn't really recycling. You've kind of picked out two things that i've explained already that already made sense.