Live At The Glasshouse [DVD] review by The Fall of Troy

• Released: Feb 21, 2011
  • Content: 7
  • Production Quality: 8
The Fall of Troy: Live At The Glasshouse [DVD]

The Fall Of Troy always struck me as a band that would only play the music they want to play, push it's boundaries as far out as possible, and never compromise it's integrity. In this I believe they have succeeded. However the very same reasons for why they became so distinctive in sound, is perhaps the same reason they called it quits; unwillingness to compromise. What we have here is concert footage of a band on their last tour. Rumors have speculated as for why this is, but perhaps the real reason is right here in this DVD. In the following 51 minutes of live concert footage, we hear exactly what The Fall Of Troy are; trailblazers. Here is a three piece from Washington making music that is equal parts thrash, metal, mathcore, prog, and post-hardcore. While creating sounds that no other three piece can even begin to imagine, the result is so unique and unfamiliar, that it might put some people off at first. Putting it mildly, listening to a Fall Of Troy album is an attack on the senses (in a good way). This DVD proves that their live shows are no different. Between lead singer and guitarist Thomas Erak's frenzied effects-laden guitar playing and simultaneous screaming/singing, you have Andrew Forsman pounding those drums in a way that if played alone would sound like a jazz solo, and Frank Ene screaming and playing just as Erak, but only on bass. Of course this is on top of the trio going super nuts on stage mind you!

Content — 7
The content for this live concert footage is simply that: live concert footage. It is available for purchase through iTunes and so it has not extra videos or hidden tracks. However there are occasional interview moments where Erak describes how certain songs off their latest album, "In The Unlikely Event", came to fruition. The set list itself was satisfying. You get a decent amount of songs from each of their albums, including "Panic Attack" and "Dirty Pillow Talk" from their latest effort. You also get goodies like "Whacko Jacko Steals The Elephant Man's Bones" and "F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X." from "Doppelganger", and even "Sledgehammer" from "Manipulator". Tracks that I feel should have been included were tracks like the mosh-friendly "Straight-Jacket Keelhauled", "Problem!?", and classics such as "Reassurance Rests In The Sea", "Mouths Like Sidewinder Missles", and "I Just Got This Symphony Goin'". Yea, now that I think about it, they really should have played those songs considering that they never will again.

Production Quality — 8
Sad to say, the production quality doesn't start off too well at the beginning. Both Frank's bass and vocals are heard above the rest of the band significantly, and Erak's guitars and effects sounded muddy and buried in the mix. However, this is remedied as the show goes on. Props to the sound guy for making it sound a lot more professional towards the end of the show, production-wise.

The Fall Of Troy were one of the most innovative bands I've ever heard. Though they've only been gone for about a year, their absence is still felt, as there is no one how makes music quite this unique and challenging. Thomas Erak has gone on to form the band, Just Like Vinyl. Andrew Forsman is continuing his education to become a teacher and drums with Seattle local band, The Monday Mornings. Frank Ene formed the band Chineke, serving as as lead singer/guitarist and is working on their LP. The members of Fall Of Troy have moved on, but as seen on message boards and customer review sections for their products, their fans have not. Comments left by fans express how much they miss the band's shows, and are saddened at the thought that there won't be any new developments. What's even worse is that if this is the send-off that Fall Of Troy gets, 51 minutes of concert footage showing them play the hell out of a decent setlist, then it is terribly underwhelmingly and anti-climactic. Definitely not the way a band of this magnitude should leave it's last mark on the music world. That's not to say that it's terrible, because it is not. But hey, like I said before, they didn't strike me as the type of band to appease anyone's notions of who or what they should be. So in a way, this is a pretty bada-s way to finish their run.

Lion_Slicer
    I saw them on their last tour, what a crazy show and not at all in line with my expectations. Not bad, just crazy. Thomas kept climbing along the ceiling, and they would regularly jump songs right in the middle of a verse then come back later. It was pretty cool. Their final song (they called encores tacky and disrespectful) was a medley of The Walls Bled Lust, Sledgehammer, and Raining Blood, among others. Pretty brutal. And they did get in Symphony at my show haha. I would definitely get this if I hadn't seen that last show, and I might anyway. One of the greatest and most unique bands of the Dillinger school.
    fartsyjoe420
    had no idea this existed. as crazy as their shows are, i can't really imagine that it will come through on this dvd, but nonetheless - legendary band.