Sound — 9
The Fall of Troy are a Hardcore/progrsseive band from Seatle who have released 2 studio albums prior to their new masterpiece: Manipulator. They ahve been one of my favorite bands for a long time. First of all, If you are a TFOT fan, you will love this album. It may take time to fully appreciate all of it because their sound has been modified in some areas. The Fall of Troy are more melodic on this album than ever before (Cut Down All The Trees, Quarter Past, Caught Up) but also equally as brutal as they were on Doppelganger. Each song has it's frantic, mind blowing breakdown, and also has it's own chorus, which on some songs is actually capabale of singing along to. Tom Erak definetely explores his vocal range and talent on Manipulator which is very apparent. He is an impressive and unique singer for this genre of music. His singing is really pleasing to hear admist the chaotic high screams he is known and acclaimed for. He has also developed an almost growl in some of his screams which is sort of a new turn in the vocal aspect of TFOT. His high pitched yelps are not forgotten either. Aside from the vocals, The guitar parts are still very technical in most songs but a certain new found rythm can be traced in a lot of the parts. The drums are exccelent and mind-blowing at times as well. I really enjoy and respect the fact that they tweaked their sound in some songs and parts but never let you forget that they are a hard band.
Lyrics — 8
The words are very unique and captivating at times. His lyrics are always interesting. On this album, Tom writes a lot about love and beauty but then at times has his dark, and violent lyrics. I have always had a hard time understanding his lyrics, but for it's about the instrumental part more than the words. I also just love to hear him sing and scream his hardest, no matter if I understand or even know what he is saying. I find myself singing along anyway.
Overall Impression — 9
I love almost all of this record, there are certain parts in some songs that are sung too over the top. Most fans will feel the need for more hardcore madness, but it's there, you just have to find it. Overall about 65% of the CD is the same old TFOT that we know and love but the other 35% is a little different and interseting, and that's not always a bad thing. The standout tracks are: Cut Down All the Trees, Problem!?, Semi-Fiction, Seatlantis, and Sledgehammer. The greatest song on the album is a song many fans might know from seeing them live, It's called Ex-Creations and it kicks a lot of ass. Check out this record.