Manipulator review by The Fall of Troy

• Released: May 1, 2007
The Fall of Troy: Manipulator

The Fall of Troy are a Hardcore/progrsseive band from Seatle who have released 2 studio albums prior to their new masterpiece: Manipulator. They ahve been one of my favorite bands for a long time. First of all, If you are a TFOT fan, you will love this album. It may take time to fully appreciate all of it because their sound has been modified in some areas. The Fall of Troy are more melodic on this album than ever before (Cut Down All The Trees, Quarter Past, Caught Up) but also equally as brutal as they were on Doppelganger. Each song has it's frantic, mind blowing breakdown, and also has it's own chorus, which on some songs is actually capabale of singing along to. Tom Erak definetely explores his vocal range and talent on Manipulator which is very apparent. He is an impressive and unique singer for this genre of music. His singing is really pleasing to hear admist the chaotic high screams he is known and acclaimed for. He has also developed an almost growl in some of his screams which is sort of a new turn in the vocal aspect of TFOT. His high pitched yelps are not forgotten either. Aside from the vocals, The guitar parts are still very technical in most songs but a certain new found rythm can be traced in a lot of the parts. The drums are exccelent and mind-blowing at times as well. I really enjoy and respect the fact that they tweaked their sound in some songs and parts but never let you forget that they are a hard band.

The words are very unique and captivating at times. His lyrics are always interesting. On this album, Tom writes a lot about love and beauty but then at times has his dark, and violent lyrics. I have always had a hard time understanding his lyrics, but for it's about the instrumental part more than the words. I also just love to hear him sing and scream his hardest, no matter if I understand or even know what he is saying. I find myself singing along anyway.

I love almost all of this record, there are certain parts in some songs that are sung too over the top. Most fans will feel the need for more hardcore madness, but it's there, you just have to find it. Overall about 65% of the CD is the same old TFOT that we know and love but the other 35% is a little different and interseting, and that's not always a bad thing. The standout tracks are: Cut Down All the Trees, Problem!?, Semi-Fiction, Seatlantis, and Sledgehammer. The greatest song on the album is a song many fans might know from seeing them live, It's called Ex-Creations and it kicks a lot of ass. Check out this record.

CheifSlapAhoe
    I just dont like this cd. This was a big a dissapointment to me because I was expecting greatness. I cant drag on enough about how much I dislike the vocals on every track of this thing.
    ad4mZX
    First few tracks didn't do it for me, I'd start in the middle first listen.
    A matter of fact look
    PDMChubby wrote: Each song has it's unique properties, and they're all amazing; I'm not disappointed with any of them.
    futurejmmy102
    PDMChubby wrote: What I've come to see is that Doppelganger and the S/T are good as albums... I can go through both of them, enjoying all of it. Manipulator doesn't work like that. It feels like tracks are out of place, don't go together, and it just doesn't seem like an album. Listen to the songs seperate on Manipulator (like Sledgehammer, Seattlantis, Ex-Creations in a row, like I do), and it's great! Manipulator's songs are good, it just doesnt work as an album like Doppelganger and the S/T did.
    You just gave it a good rating a couple of posts ago.
    PDMChubby
    legions
    I haven't heard anything from this cd yet... so I can't say much, but as far as the band, on their last release they had a lot of potential to do some great things.
    eltravo
    eh they couldn't really be called "progressive" if they thenselves didn't progress, so I dont see a problem and above all it's still a good album.
    tfotguitarist
    I personally like the album however, i thought that the self titled was their best cd to date. The song, What sound does a mastadon make, was simply incredible.
    deanosaurx
    i love this cd. love. I think it is amazing how this band can write whatever the hell they want and i still like it. best song in my opinion is probably the dark trail, but i havent listened to it enough really to choose. ps. keep in mind that even the demos for phantom on the horizon sound ****ing huge, so don't worry about them staying with the raw sound. personally, it sounds like the first album to me quality-wise.
    boomyouscream wrote: this cd is nothing in comparison to doppleganger or the selftitled. it doesn't put out the energy and power that the last two albums put out and is definitely leading tfot in a new direction. probably for the worse.
    Have you even ehard the ghostship demos? they arent permanently changing their direction.
    futurejmmy102
    ad4mZX wrote: First review assumes everyone wants "hardcore madness." I don't care, as long as it's good music. And I think that Doppelganger was a lot better. His vocals don't flow with the instruments well at all in some songs.
    I agree to that but in others I feel somewhat the same flow as in doppelganger, but mainly in the instruments, his voice really mixed things up. This is just one of those things that will get TFoT new fans and lose some of the old ones.
    311DEF
    if you think about how great doppleganger was...you'll understand how it might be hard to measure up to it...i really dont mind the songs its the recording that got me...its very raw and untouched...it doesnt have that BIG sound that doppleganger had...
    ad4mZX
    futurejmmy102
    The only thing people have against it right now is that it is not the same tfot album they spent hours listening to before Manipulator came out so they where disappointed that it was not Doppelganger and to be honest, Doppelganger was great, but would you honestly want to hear the same album again, with new lyrics. It would be extremely hard to use the style they used before, and would be completely unoriginal even if they made new songs with that style. So like I said earlier, they changed their style and because of that I think they will be more successful now because of it.
    boomyouscream
    futurejmmy102
    I think the fact that he changed his way of approaching his music as a whole, and coming away successful brings out, to me, more potential. The Poppy parts are even more Poppy, and the metal parts are even more metal. This is an album that WILL build on you. This cd was defiantly questionable to me at first after hearing clips on Last.fm but after reading the reviews on iTunes I feel like I made a very wise decision, I am giving this album 2 thumbs up for everything about the music. This cd is defiantly for Guitar players who like catchy riffs, along with the other TFoT albums.
    VeloriumCamper
    I really like the new disc. I mean sure it's not Doppelganger but it's still a very good album in my opinion
    asian? GUITAR?!
    this ablum is really more showing their potential to branch out of hardcore and the album shows more of the progressive sound. it's really different and maybe not as good as doppelganger, but i'll learn to live.
    derekrck
    agreed. in a way it was alot like the He is Legends new CD. They tried changing their sound but it could never measure up to the second album "I AM HOLLYWOOD" Manipulator is still a great album but i definately will not listen too it as much as i did when doppleganger stormed the U.S. it is definately not as BIG as Dopppleganger but not quite dissappointing ~derek!~ i still cant wait to see them may 28th tho. woo hoo!