Manipulator review by The Fall of Troy

• Released: May 1, 2007
The Fall of Troy: Manipulator

Manipulator pretty much continues from where Doppelganger left off. Intro track, 'Cut Down All The Trees And Name The Streets After Them' throws you straight into the atmosphere that all veteran Fall Of Troy fans should be familiar with by now. Whilst Thomas Erak's vocals remain near enough the same as previous album 'Doppelganger', it is evident that he has pulled out all the stops once again; stretching his vocals to make them as versatile as possible. One song which lets Thomas' vocals really shine for me would be 'Problem!?', where he goes from low screams to high pitched rock vocals, to melodic singing. The guitars in Manipulator are just as fast and complex as they are in 'Doppelganger'. The riffs and technicalities will simply blow you away. From tapping to some very fast paced alternate picking, Thomas displays his advanced guitar skills on nearly all of the songs on the album. Guitar playing-wise, Thomas Erak is clearly in top form. Hear it to believe it. Personally, I think the music is a very similar style to what 'Doppelganger' had to offer, which is a very good thing.

There is a wide range of lyrics on Manipulator. I guess if you really wanted to know about them you should read the lyrics and make your own interpretations of them yourself. Lyrics are a very personal thing: some people like cliche love song lyrics whereas others may prefer the more cryptic ones. This album holds a mixture of both which impresses me as I don't feel like I'm singing the same words over and over again to each song. Most lyrics on this album are pretty self-explanitory, too.

Manipulator offers much more than previous albums and really lets each of the band members shine in what they do. Nearly all songs will get caught up somewhere in your head and will have you playing them for months to come. Versatility is very noticeable on this album, including the very 'in your face' 'Ex-Creations' to a much more mellow, blues sounding 'Caught Up'. The greatest thing about this album is how each song has at least one part in it which you will remember and associate the song with. Down sides? Well the album definately leaves you wanting more. If you are a die hard fan or simply new to The Fall Of Troy, I recommend buying this album for a whole new experience, you wouldn't have heard many bands like The Fall Of Troy and this album shows them at their best.

Princespeach666
    fall of troy arnt hardcore! theyr not even post hardcore. theyr so insane with theyr hectic style that still makes sense! so original! i love them so much! a true hardcore band is 50 lions or deez nuts youl see the diffeence check em out!
    Behzad93
    Personaly, i like this record alot better than the first one. I just don't get it when people complaint about Manipulator, doesn't make sense.
    tfotguitarist
    idle_tooth
    schecter_chris wrote: their not hardcore... their fall of troy
    +10 indeed sir I happen to think this album is tits :]
    The Spoon
    UberMeister
    The Spoon wrote: tfotguitarist wrote: This cd isn't origianl nor is it well done the singing is terrible on this album, and it just doesn't work as a cd. the songs just don't fit together. This band is trying way to hard to be different and progressive instead of just being themselves. Okay, what does this CD sound like? I'd love to hear what its copying. i think that the singing is decent. sometimes its kind of awkward, but other than that, i really like it. I personally think that all the songs fit pretty well together. they all give me the same vibe. for the record, they are doing whatever they want.
    slayer7666
    suuuch a gooood cd by an amazing band i love the fall of troy get this cd, its amazing.
    f1sk
    yeah they're called the mars volta actually
    mylipsareonfire
    f1sk wrote: UberMeister wrote: Yeah, There's no other band out there who has ever made this kind of music. This is as unique as it gets yeah they're called the mars volta actually
    Seconded, theyre genius, and the fall of troy's sound, is very reminiscent of TMV
    Capn Crunch
    The Fall of Troy is the best band ever. This cd wasnt Doppelganger, but it's still friggin awesome.
    moshtradomus93
    this album was nothing more than an experiment there goin back to their old sound in thier next release
    tfotguitarist
    ok you must not listen to a lot of music then. Just mainstream stuff. Or maybe you are one of those people who got into them after playing guitar hero. Anyways, this cd was clearly ripping off The Mars Volta, and Portugal the Man. There is a blues song on this cd? that is ridiculous? if i want to listen to some blues i'll put on Son House, not the fall of troy. Now, i don't dislike this band, in fact i really like them I just didn't like this cd. It had a couple of moments where I was like "That is the fall of troy," that was really cool, but overall it was a disappointment