OK review by The Fall of Troy

• Released: Apr 20, 2016
The Fall of Troy: OK

Having started in 2002 when the founding members were still in high school, The Fall Of Troy would hit success with their follow-up album, 2005's "Doppelganger," with its most popular song, "F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.," being included in a number of video game OSTs, and the album as a whole gaining a cult following for its tricky mathcore style. From there, The Fall Of Troy's next goal was to grow their sound (with frontman/guitarist Thomas Erak commenting that he wanted to make something that wasn't just "riff after riff"), resulting in their third album, 2007's "Manipulator," bringing more to the table than just the frenetic technical riffs, including more synth usage, more singing, more metalcore characteristics, and easier moments like the minimal "Caught Up." Unsurprisingly, this desire for elaboration had The Fall Of Troy reaching for a more prog-influenced sound, heard in the Mars Volta-esque style of their 2008 EP "Phantom on the Horizon," and their fourth album, 2009's "In the Unlikely Event," which showed more effect pedals, classic rock influences, and a general display of different songwriting gears. But in spite of this, their fourth album would end up being their most ambivalently received, whether because of its output being more long-winded than the band's previous albums, because of it not having as much energy and crazy riffs as their earlier albums, or both.

The Fall Of Troy would break up a year after that release, going their different ways (most notably, Erak would become the new lead guitarist for Chiodos in 2012, composing for the band's fourth album, "Devil"), but with the band's reissued material on vinyl generating good reception, it was clear that a The Fall Of Troy reunion would be well received. After reuniting in 2013 and Erak officially leaving Chiodos a year later, The Fall Of Troy announced plans to work on a new album that they intended to give for free as a display of appreciation for the support they've received through all the years, and though it took some time, they now deliver on that promise with their self-released fifth album, "OK."

It's pretty easy to see how the aforementioned issues people had with "In the Unlikely Event" inspire the output of "OK." Where their previous album was their longest, "OK" is their shortest album (even shorter than their "Phantom on the Horizon" EP), and where their previous album contained the largest span of styles, "OK" most notably brings things back to the "Doppelganger" days. Along with the techy riffing in "Suck-o-Matic" and the tempo modulation in "Your Loss," nearly every song contains a degree of frantic riffs and rhythms, whether it be Erak's lead riffs in "Side by Side" or the layered riffs in "Inside Out," Tim Ward's basslines in "An Ode to the Masochists" and "Auto Repeater," Andrew Forsman's drumming in "Your Loss" and "Inside Out."

YouTube preview picture

But while "OK" mainly brings that old mathcore spirit back, The Fall Of Troy still integrate other genre flavorings into songs in order to bring some variance, as well as keeping the album from feeling like a simple "Doppelganger" reverberation: The opening "401k" not only has a hook riff that wields a retro rock swagger to it, but the bridge also brings a reggae break into the mix; the second half of "Savior" contains some prog-metal riffing similar to the likes of Between The Buried And Me; "Auto Repeater" begins with a trippy '80s synth arpeggio and ends with a screamo/metalcore breakdown; and "Your Loss" starts off with a dreamy and light guitar riff, synthetic horn swells and synthetic percussion, as well as having a break with a delicate piano melody and vocals that sound like Craig Owens (nothing's confirmed yet, but given the connection between him and Erak, it's not out of the realm of possibility). Of course, not every bout of variance is a rousing one, and the penultimate "Love Sick" is a boring display of elementary dynamics, where screaming and slamming instruments trade off with contained guitar plucks and whispering vocals for two uneventful minutes.

Generally, Erak's lyrics in "OK" delve in the same kind of subject matter as those in The Fall Of Troy's previous albums, dealing again with an oscillating relationship of toxic attraction. Erak goes from chauvinistically empowered in "401k" ("So spread your legs and start counting your blessings / I'll be your 401k") and "Side by Side" ("Before the liquor, she hates me / Now the whiskey makes her dance in my bed") to being sincerely enamored, first being a positive experience ("You're a part of me, that's been fitting and lost in time / Pardon me, let's relieve all the tension, safe from depression" in "A Single Word"), but then shortly turning into a draining one ("I don't care what they see / As long as you still suck the life right out of me" in "Suck-o-Matic"). Even with the pain recognized and hatred blooming ("It's such a shame you've missed your mark / I find my comfort in how far you fall" in "An Ode to the Masochists"), Erak's lyrics show him worse off trying to disconnect from those former feelings, heard in "Auto Repeater" ("All the time away from you / I can't stop falling down / Even if she says the truth / I'll never get up now") and "Love Sick" ("I'm lost as I can be / A sadist anomaly / As far as you think you see / How much more do I have to bleed"), and even though a sense of conclusion is meant to be established in "Your Loss," he also admits of a yearning to be wrapped up in this love/hate relationship ("You bring the tape / Tie me up just in case / You keep me safe / Make me believe the case"). In the big picture though, this spanning narrative throughout "OK" not only feels fairly similar to that of "In the Unlikely Event," but Erak's lyrics come off much more simple compared to the more vibrant vernacular heard in "Doppelganger."

While there was nothing glaringly flawed in The Fall Of Troy's original journey from a landmark mathcore record to a more elaborate, multi-faceted and realized prog rock style, it was a fair argument to make that the band were starting to neglect their intensely skilled signature sound in that journey. With "OK," The Fall Of Troy not only bring things back to that signature style of awe-inspiring instrumentals, but their usage of stylistic variance from their later albums and new influences shows the album striving to be more than just a "Doppelganger, Pt. II." Ultimately, "OK" is a concise and impressive returning album for the band.

Dan9418
    To me, it lacks some of the twisted inspiration that made their first few albums stand out, but it's definitely a fun record and a solid addition to their discography.
    noodles_wazaman
    Yeah reminds me a little bit of Refused's comeback album. Sure it was pretty good, sounded a lot like the classic tunes but its hard to recreate the vibe of being this hungry, underappreciated, ambitious bunch of dudes
    Markoholiker
    in my opinion its not their best piece of art, but it is very solid music. ...and hey! you can download it for free from their website. So everybody should give it a try
    noodles_wazaman
    I kind of miss some of the poppy vocals in this album, there's not too many choruses that draw you in. However, the riffs and interplay with the drums and bass is siiiiick. They're still one of the more unique sounding bands out there
    FlyingPirahna
    This album is a happy middle ground between ITUE and the Doppel/Manipulator days. I wish it was just a song or two longer, and maybe a bit faster tempo wise at times, but I'm so fuckin happy to have these guys back that I don't even care.
    Vash_15
    Hey this is cool but I wrote my review for this album a week ago and it's still not up. I'm assuming that's just so you could post yours first.
    jasperado
    one time at their show i saw the lead singer/guitarist jump off the stage to crowd surf during the opener band, and nobody caught him and he just fell there. later on he was really drunk and fumbled over his cables, not a good show for him. but i do like their music, maybe he just had a bad night?
    KBI2113
    I would say yes. I saw them with Clutch and Coheed (headliners). TFOT were the opening band and they absolutely fucking stole the show. Don't know how Clutch and Coheed followed them, but they did.
    jasperado
    i actually saw them on that same tour, it was at the fillmore in denver. the aforementioned show was about a year later and it was at the aggie in ft collins, and they were the headline. I agree with you though because i actually went to see clutch that time and TFOT really blew me away. i just think he was drunk during that bad show plus the bad stage dive
    ColdHeartedHero
    Maybe I'm just not a fan of their earliest stuff; Unlikely Event was my favourite album of theirs! Is it just me? The riffs, lyrics, it all just spoke to me! I've enjoyed OK so far otherwise though!