Phantom On The Horizon review by The Fall of Troy

• Released: Nov 28, 2008
The Fall of Troy: Phantom On The Horizon

A while back The Fall of Troy made a few demos that, of course, got leaked onto the internet. These Ghostship demos have been the center of quite a bit of fan controversy for a while now. But then, it was announced that a new EP was to be released, Phantom On The Horizon. This would be a new, and improved, remake of the demos. And I must say, the band did a fantastic job. Each song is dramatic, deep, and, for lack of a better word, epic. The guitar work by Thomas is abrasive, intricate, and melodic. Every time I think that I can't be anymore amazed, he manages to do so. Surprisingly, the drums shine through a lot more on this album, epically in Chapter I: Introverting Dimensions, which is basically a giant tension-builder for the rest of the album. Frank's bass also astounded me-quite powerful. As the tension of the first song is released in Chapter II I immediately knew I was going to love this album. Erak's new vocal style is shown a bit. Less abrasive, more dramatic. Chapter III was my favorite track, because the middle was such a departure from all of their other songs (listen to it, I don't want to give away any surprises). Chapter IV is incredibly catchy and probably has the craziest guitar work on it. The main riff to Chapter V is just awesome, and the breakdown at the end is as brutal as can be. The record is also very well produced. The only thing I really didn't like about the album wad the excessive feedback. I'm pretty sure ten minutes of the EP is just a wall of distortion, which can be sweet. But in this case, I think it's just overdone. Overall a great sound.

I adore Thomas's new vocal style on the album. It is very dramatic and almost in a gospel style at some points. The only problem I see is that sometimes the vocals are too quiet. But in this case his voice acts more like an instrument then anything. The lyrics are also really great, although they are sometimes hard to make out. The EP is basically a giant story, open for interpretation, which is another asset that's nice. Getting entranced in the storyline is very easy to do.

I loved this album. At first I was a little skeptical because I thought their last record was sub-par. But this really did it for me. They manage to cram a whole lot of great sound into a tiny bit of time. This may be a sound that a some people will have to get used to though. The tracks are very abrasive, but they grow on you. The band did a phenomenal job of remaking the old demos and spicing them up with some new flavor.