The Fall Of Troy review by The Fall of Troy

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Nov 4, 2003
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 8.3 Superb
  • Users' score: 9.6 (19 votes)
The Fall of Troy: The Fall Of Troy
0

Sound — 9
This band has left one of the biggest impressions on me out of all of them. The other reviewer was not far off with the comparison to The Blood Brothers in terms of overall-mayhem of the sounds. The Fall of Troy are able to pull this album together imaginably well. takeing some songs directly from their previous band "Thirty Years War" those songs are "Reasurance Rests At Sea" Rockstar Nailbomb and one or 2 others that I can't pull of the top of my head. Tom is a brilliant guitarist and shows his skill with the instrument but his vocals are where he is lacking but it doesnt't really make to bad of an impression. Tim Ward does an excellent job of playing the bass and his screams complement Tom perfectly in the songs. Andrew pulls it all together with his rythmic beating of the drums.

Lyrics — 8
The lyrics do not show that this band looks up to the blood brothers as the previous reviewer said, they are different in their own respects. Overall I was impressed, Just about all the songs are tinged with a bit of emo, but that's not a bad thing at all, and some of the lyrics are just out there. the songs all stick with the sound of the song and help convey the message behind them. Tom needs some vocal work in this album but it does NOT hinder it much.

Overall Impression — 8
This band compares with Tera Melos, Damiera and Portugal. the man (and would you look at that, the bands I listed are also touring with them! the show I went to was spectacular) The Most impressive songs on the album were "Hey I Just Got This Sympony Going," "Mouths Like Sidewinder Missles," "Sparticus" and "What Sound Does A Mastadon Make" The Bassline in FCPSITSGEPGEPGEP was particulary good and. I love the over all energy that this album gives to you. I would recommend it to anyone that likes energetic music and doesnt't care much about the genres, I would not however reccomend this band to someone that listens to heavy heavy metal. this is almost like a lighter-brighter version of heavy heavy low low and fear before's older tunes.

7 comments sorted by best / new / date

    hxc_pwn_pirate
    oth are right ^ ^ ^ ^ but when you say thoms voice isnt that great you kind of have to resort back to the fact that thom is ****ing ripping while doing that stuff..
    einherix
    to hxc_pwn_pirate absolutly right, altho in the studio each track is recorded seperatly so its not an excuse there, live its an excuse tho and he sounds terrible sometimes. overall his vocals are sooooo much better in Manipulator
    brettk7
    frd_marshll wrote: Andrew doesnt sing or scream on this record Tim is the second voclaist and Thomas owns Eddie Van Halen
    einherix wrote: That is a really bold statement being as EVH is probably one of the top 10 most influential rock guitarist of all time. Not to say that Thom doesn't do some wild/awesome shit... I just think things like that are a personal preference. I guess "I just Got This Symphony Going" is sort of like TFOT's Eruption haha. Thom also uses a lot of effects pedals, like loop-stations and delays for example... That is where he gets his signature "playing three guitar parts, doing vocals and keys live" thing. The actual skill of Thomas Erak could be debatable (Erak states that he "can't call himself a musician" in a UG interview), but non-the-less he is a musical genius. yeah dude you got your stuff mixed up there, the blood brothers are not at all like the fall of troy lyrically. your just compareing them because both just seem to pull stuff out of no where. also, the fall of troy's vocals are comprehendable. you might want to check your ears because Tom's singing was no where near perfect. He is getting better and sounds alot better in doppleganger
    Doppleganger was also recorded in a much more professional manner you have to figure. They had signed to a fairly large Indie label and all the songs obviously got re-done. Not saying he didn't improve vocally, but I believe that also has to be taken into consideration when comparing his vocal skill/range from the two albums.
    brettk7
    brettk7 wrote: frd_marshll wrote: Andrew doesnt sing or scream on this record Tim is the second voclaist and Thomas owns Eddie Van Haleneinherix wrote: ***** I didn't mean to blend this into the other guys quote***** That is a really bold statement being as EVH is probably one of the top 10 most influential rock guitarist of all time. Not to say that Thom doesn't do some wild/awesome shit... I just think things like that are a personal preference. I guess "I just Got This Symphony Going" is sort of like TFOT's Eruption haha. Thom also uses a lot of effects pedals, like loop-stations and delays for example... That is where he gets his signature "playing three guitar parts, doing vocals and keys live" thing. The actual skill of Thomas Erak could be debatable (Erak states that he "can't call himself a musician" in a UG interview), but non-the-less he is a musical genius. yeah dude you got your stuff mixed up there, the blood brothers are not at all like the fall of troy lyrically. your just compareing them because both just seem to pull stuff out of no where. also, the fall of troy's vocals are comprehendable. you might want to check your ears because Tom's singing was no where near perfect. He is getting better and sounds alot better in doppleganger Doppleganger was also recorded in a much more professional manner you have to figure. They had signed to a fairly large Indie label and all the songs obviously got re-done. Not saying he didn't improve vocally, but I believe that also has to be taken into consideration when comparing his vocal skill/range from the two albums.
    Thapumpkineater
    There's better songs on this CD then on Doppelganger...I mean the ones that weren't put on Doppelganger >_>