The Raven And The Reaping review by The Famine

• Released: May 27, 2008
The Famine: The Raven And The Reaping

One word that immediately comes to mind when describing 'The Raven And The Reaping' is heavy. The mix is fairly distorted, but not so much so that those with more sensitive ears can still listen to and enjoy the album. The band maintains a fairly high level of technicality throughout, but the intensity seems to progress along with the songs. The guitars are pretty crisp as a whole, delivering some pretty beefy chugs and solos that really add a lot to the songs. The drums and bass are, though a bit fuzzy at times, equally impressive; the fills are great and the bass drives the songs just as hard as the guitars do. The only problem with the record is that the songs become slightly repetitive, but only about 30%. There are a total of 11 tracks, so you can do the math.

The lyrics are poetic and dark, though nothing to gush about. There is a lot of anger and resentment in the lyrics and the singer manages to capture that anger quite well. Not a huge range in terms of singing, but the growls accompany the music quite nicely.

When I bought this CD, I had no idea what to expect. I really only considered buying it because the cover art was so cool. What I ended up with was a kickass album that made me poo all over myself multiple times. Some songs that really stand out: Consume Devour Repeat/Killing For Sport/Cut From The Stone. Fans of Chimaira, Lamb of God, Unearth, or All That Remains should consider giving this band a try.