Join With Us Review

The Feeling: Join With Us
Release Date: Feb 18, 2008
Label: Island
Genres: Rock
Recalling ELO, Queen and Yes, this is a carefully crafted record packed with sing-along hits and memorable melodies.
 6.7
 7.3
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Join With Us Reviewed by: iamaguitarfish, on february 25, 2008

Sound: It really is sad when this happens: a great band write brilliant songs, play their instruments briliantly and then decide that they can't resist that big red shiny button saying "over produce." Maybe I'm being unfair but to me it seems like this album, despite the fact that it has excellent material on it, has been ruined by too much production. It has lost it's raw edge that made it stand out from so much other British pop music. To be honest I liked it better when they produced their songs in a shed. // 5

Lyrics: Well if you are looking for another 12 Stops and Home you will be sorley disapointed. Although in some songs (Without You and Connor) the lyrics are extremley strong it does fall down in various other places where the lyrics sound industrialised and souless e.g Like you see in the papers/that you read on es-ca-la-tors. Despite this many of the lyrics in this album are really good as they talk about real emotions which the listner can relate to. In conclusion: From most bands the lyrics on this album would be acceptable bordering on good however talented lyricsts like the feeling should really be aspiring to more. // 6

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs on this album are most definatly Turn It Up (despite the fact that I slated it's lyrics earlier) and Without You although other songs such as This Time and the hidden track "We Can Dance" are also very good. I would recomend this if you liked the first album, but definatly not if you are a hard-core indie kid. This album isn't big, it isn't clever and it's not clever but it's good British pop and that's why you have to love it! // 7

Comments