Twelve Stops And Home review by The Feeling

• Released: Jul 4, 2006
The Feeling: Twelve Stops And Home

The Feeling are an English alternative/pop/modern indie rock band who are currently riding high with success due to the huge surge of modern indie rock bands dominating the British music scene. Their debut album "Twelve Stops and Home" has a slightly different sound compared to bands such as "The Fratellis", "The Kooks", "The View" etc and it's a rather refreshing sound aswell. The singer (Dan Gillespie Sells) has a more poppish voice but you can hear early '90s influences in his voice and in certain songs. Once the album kicks off with "I Want You Now" you may think "hmmm abit too pop for my taste" although the album does get much better as it gradually goes on.

The lyrics on this album are the basic relationship stuff. There's nothing to exceptional although the song "Rose" is a great song, very romantic and has sweet lyrics that could be sung for someone. The lyrics fit in very well with the style of music they play although there is nothing really out of the ordinary or spectacular about them.

Overall, this album is a really good debut although it won't suit everybodys taste and a lot of the songs will have you singing along due to the sheer catchiness of them. The songs on this album are: 01. I Want You Now - reasonable song, nothing to fantastic although it's a nice way to start off the album, although it is rather poppish. 02. Never Be Lonely - starts like some cheesy '80s pop song until the pre-chorus/chorus area when it comes off very pop, but the song is rather good for a drunken sing-along at this area. 03. Fill My Little World - most probably their biggest hit, it's been featured everywhere and it truly is a fantastic song, great to song along to and fun to play. 04. Kettle's On - didn't like this song very much, lacked the hit quality it could have had, although it may please others. 05. Sewn - sounds like something else that I can't remember currently, it is a nice song though, again it is more slow and maybe more for easy-listeners. 06. Anyone - sounds more like a pop/boyband sort of song although it doesn't at the same time, it is a good song although it leans more towards pop than alternative. 07. Strange - another slow ballad type song, very nice and it's in a good place on the album. 08. Love It When You Call - when a song starts like the Pacman tune, it can't go wrong can it? Nope, excellent indie/pop song, very catchy at the chorus aswell, guaranteed for big sing-alongs at one of their concerts. 09. Rose - my personal favourite song on the album. It's melodically brilliant, it has a sweet piano intro and the lyrics sound like he is meaning what he is saying, plus it's a good song to play for a girl. 10. Same Old Stuff - sounds a lot like early '90s indie, at around the 3min mark, also sounds similar to Muse, plus they fit a nice solo in at around 3:25. 11. Helicopter - great song, starts off well, develops into a standard indie/pop song. Plus there is a great impressive solo right near the end. 12. Blue Piccadilly - technically 2 songs, wasn't rather keen on either. Overall it is a good album, especially if you like the current "indie" scene in the UK. If it were stolen, I would probably wait a while before re-purchasing, although I definitely would buy it again.