The Soft Bulletin review by The Flaming Lips

• Released: Jun 22, 1999
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
The Flaming Lips: The Soft Bulletin

I guess I just don't get this record. Time after time it has been praised for being a lighthearted and cynicism-free "masterpiece" when it is really underdeveloped, somewhat immature, and even annoying. The sounds on the record show great intellectual depth and understanding of theory, but they are far from exciting. To their credit, the Flaming Lips' drums have always been really awesome. What really detracts from this record is the awful singing of the terrible lyrics. Is it possible that these guys didn't realize that a lyric like "the fly through the air/as you comb your hair" isn't going to work? And Wayne Coyne's fake tenor/falsetto voice doesn't help matters at all. This album is something of an enigma to me. It's endless praise by indie rock critics had me very excited about finally buying it, but as it turns out, it is just terrible. Like I said, the awfulness hinges mainy on the stupidity of the lyrics. This album is simply not worth buying due to sheer stupidity. And what's wrong with a little cynicism in indie rock?