The Soft Bulletin review by The Flaming Lips

• Released: Jun 22, 1999
The Flaming Lips: The Soft Bulletin

I got this after I got Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots. This is the stepping stone they took to get to that album. Its sound is more experimental than other stuff I own. The spark that bled is the perfect example as it moves through different moods all with various wiered noises produces by synthesizers and distorted guitars. Race For The Prize is a masterclass in drumming as well as as being memorable. Instrumental The Observer cannot be described for its sheer beauty.

The lyrics are the least important thing about a Flaming Lips record but even when theyre this disjointed they prove to have a lot of meaning. Race For The Prize represent desperation and as it explains in the inlay what is the light looks at an unproven theory on the creation of the universe. the lyrics are dark as well. I believe I heard that before this album each band member was struck by personal tragedy which is shown. Wayne Coyne may not be the best singer in the world but unlike earlier lips records he tries to sing in tune. It shows that he has a good voice when he tries.

It may not be the Flaming Lips masterpiece (I think that goes to Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots) but this is definately just as essential if you want to get into the Flaming Lips. Race For The Prize, The Observer and Slow Motion are possibly the strongest tracks on the album, being moving or just or something where you cant stand still. The sound is gorgeous in places as are the lyrics. The only problem I have is with putting a remix version of Race For The Prize and Waitin' For Superman near the end as they dont really add anything to the beuty of the album. I'd definately buy the cd again if it was lost or stolen as it is just to essential to not have. The Flaming Lips are living proof that a band can only get better with age as it is stronger than their early 90s material. I haven't heard their 80's material though so I may be wrong. Please buy this album now!