The Soft Bulletin review by The Flaming Lips

• Released: Jun 22, 1999
The Flaming Lips: The Soft Bulletin

Wow. Not much else to say about this record. This is like "Dark Side Of The Moon" without all the psycho-mindtrip-bulls--t that accompanies it. This disk has a tunefullness and experimental, Pet sounds vibe that accompanies a lot of Dave Friedman's best work. Orchestra fills and polished guitars swelling at the right moments. Coyne and Drozd are the real indie heroes. Some of the drumming is purely sick. "Waiting For Superman," "Feeling Yourself Disentigrate," and "What Is The Light" are brilliant tracks that evidence the compiled (Coyne-Drozd-Friedmann) genius.

You can't hate Wayne Coyne's lyrics. If you do, you're kind of a fascist. What's wrong with songs about triumph over adversity? The only real complaint you can make is that they're totally generic in their lay-out and don't dare to venture into any real human conflicts. Which might be why the follow-up disc concentrated on humans vs. robots (everyone can hate robots). But still, Coyne's lyrics work perfect with the music and they're uplifting nonetheless and as someone with a continuously diminishing lifespan, I'd rather here a fight song and a life-gratifying track far above any Cobain lyric (nothing against depressed peeps).

I've kept this CD in my 5 play CD player for the last 3 years. This review is not written by a playa-hata. Sorry. Can't be objective. I'm not going to write an unpaid, unsolicitted review for www.ultimate-guitar.com unless I want to praise a disk that I truly love and want other future readers, tabbers and listeners to get behind. This disk is one of the best. Growing up in the '90s, I was lucky to see shows from some great acts and bands. This is one of many. Every reader should be so lucky. Keep rocking and tabbing.

plucas
    This is one of my Favourite Albums Of All Time. This is way more than just indie rock, far from stupidity or immaturity. The best Flaming Lips album of all, and that really is saying something.
    mental_zer0
    Truly Ninja obviously didn't listen to the right album. Where the hell did you get the idea that this album is lighthearted? the subject matter is different and wayne's method of approach is astounding. Clearly the idea of a metaphor escapes you. Most lyrics, especially the Lips', aren't meant to be taken at face value. You have to look deeper into it.
    nickstrobaugh
    shit,I meant: "This review is simply not worth reading due to sheer stupidity." Wayne Coynes voice perfectly fits the music he makes.