Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots review by The Flaming Lips

• Released: Jul 16, 2002
The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

The interplay between the guitars and electronically-generated sounds gives the real impression of a futuristic metropolis in your living room. The drums are perfect, whether preformed live or with electronics. Simply put, this is the best-sounding Lips record to date. If you dig Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here," this is the sequel.

Lyricist Wayne Coyne blends science fiction with themes of love, life, death and exisance. "Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell" states, "In the morning I'd awake/and I couldn't remember/What is love and what is hate/and why does it matter." The only thing one might find wrong with the lyrics is how they are sung. I have heard many people say they think Wayne's voice is annoying. I don't think so, but you may.

In my opinion, there is no filler on this album. Every song is worth it. If you are a Pink Floyd or Yes fan, check out the entire Flaming Lips catalog. "Yoshimi" is only one of the many albums to blend spacey rock with electronica, but one of the few to do it well.

Teh_Zombie
    The CD that introduced me to one of my favorite bands. Excellent, excellent album.
    27jstro
    An amazingly sonic album about robots, love, and our own mortality.