Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Review

The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
Released: Jul 16, 2002
Genre: Rock
Styles: Neo-Psychedelia, Dream Pop, Noise Pop
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots finds the Flaming Lips continuing to grow and challenge themselves in not-so-obvious ways.
 9.7
 9.5
 9.9
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 06, 2004

Sound: The interplay between the guitars and electronically-generated sounds gives the real impression of a futuristic metropolis in your living room. The drums are perfect, whether preformed live or with electronics. Simply put, this is the best-sounding Lips record to date. If you dig Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here," this is the sequel. // 10

Lyrics: Lyricist Wayne Coyne blends science fiction with themes of love, life, death and exisance. "Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell" states, "In the morning I'd awake/and I couldn't remember/What is love and what is hate/and why does it matter." The only thing one might find wrong with the lyrics is how they are sung. I have heard many people say they think Wayne's voice is annoying. I don't think so, but you may. // 8

Overall Impression: In my opinion, there is no filler on this album. Every song is worth it. If you are a Pink Floyd or Yes fan, check out the entire Flaming Lips catalog. "Yoshimi" is only one of the many albums to blend spacey rock with electronica, but one of the few to do it well. // 10

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Reviewed by: TerminalSpirit, on may 18, 2007

Sound: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is The Flaming Lips tenth studio effort. The bands sound on this album is focused around the usual band instruments: bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, keyboard/synths and drums. But there is the extra addition of such things as drum machines and from observation of Wayne Coyne's guitar, what appears to be a Thermin which is built into his acoustic and used sparsely at various points during the album. The band seems to bring a lot more electronica and techno sounds to the album, almost giving it a more ambient feel at points. Points in the the album where these all mesh together perfectly are in songs like 'In the Morning of the Magicians' and 'Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell'. Overall it gives a very soothing feel, but also has overtones of something very upbeat and even odd compared to the norm at times. // 9

Lyrics: Wayne Coyne has a mastery with lyrics that inspire and conjure surreal images in the listeners head. with lyrical themes ranging from a black belt karate girl named Yohsimi, battling against the evil of the pink robots to the likes of 'In the Morning of the Magicians' a song inspired by the book the same name that two German scientists wrote after World War II, describing occult beliefs and practices of Nazi intellectuals. The Flaming Lips used this as an implication for Yoshimi in he fight against the pink robots (learn something new everyday, no). Not only are the lyrics interesting and comical at points it also harmonizes wonderfully with the music, bringing it all together to make masterpieces and tracks that will be catchy enough for you to hum for hours and loose yourself in while taking time out from the day to day goings on of the world. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this album, in my opinion is a work of art, everytime I listen to it I get an overwhelming feeling of joy. The Flaming Lips are so odd with their sci-fi themed albums and catchy lyrics, one can't help but love them. Every song on the album is made with care and attention, I would reccomend a few good songs that you should definitely hear off this album, but really every song is worth listening to. Thanks for reading. // 10

Comments