Calvalcade review by The Flatliners

• Released: Apr 13, 2010
The Flatliners: Calvalcade

Alright, I'll just start this off by saying that the Flatliners aren't going to revolutionize music with this release, nor will they drastically change how punk is played. This is a departure from their previous efforts as their ska-core sound that won so many fans over is completely gone now, with only ''He was a jazzman'' retaining anything that closely resembles two-tone anywhere. What we've got here, is a very solidly written, no-frills punk album that won't disappoint fans of the genre. However, it may discourage hardcore fans of the band that remember a time when this band had more of an edge. Still, I enjoyed it for the most part.

The lyrics aren't going to impress anyone really, but they fit the music well. The singer doesn't have the greatest voice, he won't stop anyone in their tracks with his pipes, but they fit the music well. When you think about it, that's all that really matters right?

Overall, the first 5 songs on the album are fantastic. They all pack a punch, even the slower ''He was a Jazzman''. Unfortunately, the album stumbles after that and doesn't really recover too well. In my opinion, the best songs on the album are Carry the Banner and He was a Jazzman. What I like the most about this, is that it doesn't take a lot of effort to listen to, and I like that about music. You don't feel like you have to sit there and analyze the music note for note to get the most out of it. I could see this being blasted at a party, and everyone just having a good time with it. Which is the true intent of this music.

krvolok
    Old punk = the law New punk =(no offense to women) is for women. And it's as simple as that.