Destroy To Create Review

The Flatliners: Destroy To Create
Release Date: Oct 4, 2005
Label: Stomp
Genres: Ska-Punk, Punk Revival
Their sound is best described as two-tone ska mixed with brain-hemorrhaging punk to make one lethal dose of in-your-face fun!
 9.8
 9.7
 9.8
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Destroy To Create Reviewed by: rinio, on june 13, 2006

Sound: "The Flatliners blend two-tone ska with brain hemorrhaging punk rock to make one lethal dose of 'f-=-k you up music'." This is really a great way to descibe them. Solid basslines, with twin guitars that almost completely redefine what you would expect from a Ska/Punk band. Awesome drums are also thrown into the mix. It's not just monotone catwalks anymore, but what really stand out is the vocals. Lightning fast, unparalleled except perhaps by Kalinowky on Keasbey Knights, but really like nothign I've ever heard. Really, on the album, the sound is awesome. Live they it is acceptable. The vocals are slightly off, but that is to be expected when you are performing something of this intensity. One thing that I really found innovative and cool was the use of both humbuckers when recording the clean tracks on the album (or at least that's how I reproduce the sound). It really gives you a nice flowing tone for fast ska. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good. They are not spectacular, and maybe a little bit of the "cliche punk" style lyrics: "Tear down the system, revolution, and anarchy!" The thing is you can have this song on your mp3 for months and unless you're really paying attention to it you might pick up 3 words (because of the unbeleivale speed which I mentioned earlier). In terms of sound the lyrics are very well written and are original sounding. The singer, although live he tends to not be that great, on the album sounds amazing. Kudos. // 9

Overall Impression: This is honestly my 2nd favorite album (right behind Choking Victim's no gods, no managers). It definately deserves a place on the shelves of all (post) 3rd-wave lovers. Almost every song on this album is impressive, heart-pumping ska. Some of my favorite tunes off the album are "Fred's Got Slacks," "There's A Problem," "Gullible," and "Macoretta Boozer" (although their bes song is, arguably, "Spill Your Guts"). Definately they go down in my canadian ska band hall of fame. There are 2 ways people react to this album: "The lyrics are too fast, I hate it" or "The lyrics are too fast, I love it". I would buy this ablum over and over (If I had the money) just to support this band. // 10

Comments