The Forecast Review

9.4
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Forecast Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on december 17, 2010

Sound: The Forecast are one of the few bands who have survived after emerging during the emo-rock wave of mid-2000. The band's self-titled album is their third full-length recording and delivers the best of the quartet who have made marshalling dual lead vocals between guitarist Dustin Addis and bassist Shannon Burns a feature that future rock bands would want to emulate. Rounding out the band are guitarist/vocalist Matt Webb and drummer Tony Peck who contribute equally to the groups breadth of smoking emo-rock stacks. The band's new album puts emphasis on their steadfast ways, even though it might seem like the band has not progressed from their debut release Late Night Conversations from Victory Records in 2005 and their last recording In The Shadows Of Two Gunme in 2008. Progress is veritably measured in the band's ability to hone their sound to the point that they have exceeded what anyone could have imagined they were capable of doing. Bejeweled in soft folk-rock strums along Losers and sprigs of heartland rock raptures sowed across Illinois, a tribute to the band's origins of Peoria, Illinois, The Forecast deliver all substance and keep the fillers to a minimum. The meditative voicing of Snake Charmer is reflective of Jimmy Eat World, and the volley of sleekly whittled spirals planking If I'm Not Mistaken endorse the band's slant for substantive treads. Addis' vocals are caddied by the revved up rhythm of Kisses, and the dual action of Addis' and Burns' vocals along Heads Will Roll kindle a vigorous exchange. Tracks like Lost At Sea and I'll Set You Free are soaked in an emo rock fomenting, and the guitar-driven riffage of Double On The Rocks project a vigil-clasped torching. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have a personable touch like anyone can relate to them such as the images of Lost At Sea when Addis confronts, Wasting all my time / I'm finding excuses to get me by / My notebook is dry / I seem to cross out my lines / There's something about you I just can't hide / Say you miss me Baby / Say we're not lost / And I don't care where I'm at / I'll see you in the Fall. The track Illinois has an anthem-bent with words that resonate, Let's run away when the seasons roll right in / Throw our care into the wind / Try and disappear again / And we can take a trip to the water where we kissed / Hold my hand, we'll get through this / I'll bring a smile to your lips. The words carry a tinge of optimism through the darkness. // 9

Overall Impression: When everyone craves change, The Forecast opt to stay true and steadfast. The band seems to know who they are, where their strengths and limitations are, and what they like about their music. There is a sameness about their songs, and at the same time, that is what is so attractive about The Forecast. If you liked them before, you will like them now. If you never liked The Forecast, this album won't change your mind. // 10

Comments