Costello Music review by The Fratellis

• Released: Sep 11, 2006
The Fratellis: Costello Music

For me, The Fratellis are the most distinctive-sounding indie band of the last few years. They do things the listener does not expect them to do, like put a flute instrumental at the end of Flathead, and the weird laughter and synth trumpets in Cuntry Boys and City Girls, more reminiscent of a rave band. This helps the variation between the tracks, as most of the songs are up-tempo. They certainly know how to start a track as well, the intros on all of the songs are very good, especially Creeping Up The Backstairs, in which the drums and guitars take turns in the spotlight.

The vocals tend to take a back seat for much of this album, masked by the quite brilliant guitar riffs. When they do become more clear, mostly in the two slightly more down-tempo soungs, Doginabag and Old Black 'n' Blue Eyes, they are pretty good. In a lot of the songs, however, the singer tries to cram lots of lyrics into very short spaces. Sometimes this adds to the manic feel, such as in Creeping Up the Backstairs, but you do find yourself wishing to know what he's on about.

This is certainly one of the best albums of the last couple of years. All of the songs are very good, but for me Creeping Up the Backstairs, and Got Ma Nuts form a Hippy stand out (the latter for its brilliant middle 12). Some albums are growers, and some you like straight away and then go off. For me, Costello Music has been the best of both, I liked it when I first herad it, and like it just as much now.