Costello Music review by The Fratellis

• Released: Sep 11, 2006
The Fratellis: Costello Music

Power Chords, left right and center, which is lucky as I happen to love songs based on power chords, if you disagree with me don't bother reading the rest of the review, you are not going to like this CD. Fact. The sound of this album could be compared to that of Oasis and the kaiser chiefs I personally think it sounds like the arctic monkeys but nobody agrees so I'll shut up. Some of the songs are very old school rock 'n' roll and remind me inexplicably of elvis but, again, that's just me being mad.

Well, when my 7 year old stepbrother bought a copy of this CD and played it around the house watching my mum's face was hillarious as song by song she heard more and more explicit words and subject matter, it took 4 songs before the CD was confiscated. So naturally as a sign of rebellion I rushed straight up to my room and bought it on itunes. As I listened to it (through headphones), apart from learning more about the world than I wanted to at that age, I discovered that the lyrics were actually very cleverly written and were so catchy that I was grounded for a week for singing them persistently.

It is hard to pick one favourite song from this album as they are all very good but the songs flathead and whistle for the choir really stand out for me. Overall this has to be one of my all time favourite albums and the fact that this band has been ignored for so long by music journalists is a disgrace the fratellis are one of musics best kept secrets and they thoroughly deserve to be brought out into the light!

barni-with-an-i
    listen to their cover of all along teh watchtower. its good. surprisingly so. so i'm not gonna judge as of yet.
    5dilloneastoe
    Qoasis wrote: el_deano - doesn't musically work? if it sounds good it works and your obviously entitled to your opinion
    its true the chords in this song arent really related to any scale or anything (chords used are A,A#,B,C,D,Eb,E,G and a few more) but it still sounds great
    peavyman13
    I lied, I just got the fratellis's next album, and they are now one of my favorite bands.