Here We Stand review by The Fratellis

• Released: Jun 9, 2008
The Fratellis: Here We Stand

I loved the sound on the first album. It was bouncy, upbeat and most importantly fun. I was hoping (praying) that they hadnt lost the fun and managed to keep the manic energy that they captured on their first album and glad to see they haven't lost any of it. My first impression was that it was more rockier and less poppy than the first album but still managed to maitain it's own identity and not copy another bands sound like certain other bands (courteeners this means you). The guitar playing seems to have improved a hell of a lot particularly on lupe brown and my friend john while the drums and bass are all excellent with the piano in the background but not being overshadowed or overshadowing what else is going on.

I always like lyrics about nights out as long as there fun and not too serious and once again the fratellis have struck gold with this. They are more varied, more thought provoking and also the singing is better as well. My only complaint about the singing is that at times (ok on my friend john) they sound a bit like arctic monkeys. While I like arctic monkeys the fratellis are more unique and I prefer the music on fratellis. Ok that might be me being stupidly picky and trying to find fault when there isnt any but still. His vice has improved a lot since the first album and while it might not be the best voice it goes so well with the music, just like antony keidis in the chilli peppers. Not the best voices but works well for the band.

Compared to there previous album the instrument playing is a big step up and there is more variety in there songs. Lupe Brown sticks in my mind particularly for the outro solo that someone like brian may would be proud of. The whole album is excellent and they have got the song order bang on the money. There is less dadadada which while good did get a wee bit annoying after a while. The best songs are My Friend John, A heady Tale, Stragglers Moon and Lupe Brown with not a bad song in sight. There is nothing I hate about this album and am probably gonna go deaf cos of how loud I'm playing it which will be a shame cos it's a truly great album. Forget Killers, Razorlight, Arctic Monkeys and the new indie bands this band will soundtrack the next 10 years and I predict the will be as big as oasis in a couple more years. Also I don't know if anyone else has thought this but it does sound like something that would be played at a festival in the afternoon sun. If they played this at reading festival with nothing else I would be very happy. But as it is they have got great songs such as flathead and henrietta and I am fully expecting them to steal the show at reading festival this year. Forget RATM, Killers, Metalica this is the band you want to look out for. They will steal the show. The. Fratellis. Rock!

Snakexe
    I think they suck arctic chunkies. Haha. Nah seriously I don't really get what the difference is between what these guys, Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Arctic Monkeys, and the rest of the plethora of bands with a superfluous "The" infront of their names. They really are interchangeable for the most part. Someone turned me on to the Killers' first album before it got all popular, and I quite liked it, but quickly got bored. Suddenly all these bands who sound exactly alike are dominating the charts and I can't get away from this style that I'm sick of already, it's just made me despise it really. So there we have it. Rubbish? Not really. Overplayed, overdone, and lacking in longevity? Most certainly.
    mallen i am
    AndyH for president if you dont like the music, dont slam it if you wanna go and moan about "unindividuality" then moan about it on a thread, or a forum, or whatever, that actually wants you to. this was designed to comment on THE BAND, not compare them to others its a review, you review the album, not compare the band to others and then slam them cos theyre "too the same". if you dont like them, then just steer clear.
    PastaOfMuppets
    I felt that way too but the Fratellis seem to do something a bit different and to me they stand out from the shitty bands that usually populate the mainstream here. Maybe its the catchy rock choruses or the blues influences or something but I like them and I hate most of this UK indie-pop trash.
    RO$$
    Gaz-Gtar wrote: Thecla wrote: The album still has to grow on me but so did the first album .. I am abolutely in love with babydoll though! same here man its a klassic tune logan_in_flight wrote: The Fratelli's really do suck balls, i mean come on, isn't there enough rubbish "Indie" bands out there? They all sounds alike too. Just another turd band being accepted in the British music scene where there is far better bands who do not get the recognition they deserve! frattells is great band and indie better than goth bull**** and emo turd and hardcore **** metal i feel like killing my self listening to one of them
    Hmm ignorant much? Indie better than goth bullshit...etc? I'm sorry, but could you care to explain why one type of music is better than another? Indie isn't even a proper genre anyway. The music is just marketed as Independant when of course most of it is just commercialised pop rock. It's just another popular music fad that will die out in a couple of years. People like you make me want to kill myself not the music i listen to...try to open your mind instead of generalising other forms of music like an idiot. I completely agree with logan_in_flight there are far too many indy(well not really) bands around atm, putting out boring music thats all been done before. The Fratelli's are one of them imo. BTW: I haven't got a problem if you like their music, i just can't stand ignorant people.
    Gaz-Gtar
    CasanovaBass
    Well they're doing something right.
    Thecla
    Red_Hot_Fuzz
    I am a huge fan of the Fratellis' work, and I am really excited about the new album. I was really surprised when I saw a review on here for more Fratellis music, I thought it would be at least another year til new material, can't wait to buy the new album.
    PastaOfMuppets
    The first album had some really catchy moments on it, was surprisingly good considering I'm not a big fan of the style. Looking forward to hearing this one.
    mallen i am
    logan_in_flight wrote: When did we once mention Metal Bands? The Fratellis are shite full stop, yes he knows how to play guitar but do we need more shitty blues-pop-indie trash? There are so many better British bands that get overlooked!
    then go and look at them yourslef, or maybe tell us them, id sure wed all love a listen and i vote yes for more indie "trash" just to annoy people who stick their nose in where its not needed with opinions that no-one wants to hear about
    AndyH
    God damnit why does EVERY thread on this stupid site turn into a genre war. If you don't like the band or the genre being reviewed, don't listen to them and shut up. NOBODY GIVES A SHIT SO STOP CLUTTERING UP THE COMMENTS.
    qotsa1998
    Ive heard Mitress Mable, the first single, and it wasnt as good as i thought it would be. I definately like Flathead, Chelsea Dagger, and stuff off the first album better. Altho i havent heard all of this one yet. So maybe its one of those bad single-good album situations.
    reelbigfish432
    ive only heard mistress mabel and didnt liek it very much, i have their first album which is excellent but im not sure about getting this one
    Bozjoarmstrong
    firstly
    I love this album, and both of these reviews really highlight how great it is. Thanks!
    cheers mate, nice to hear some good feedback! secondly, to all those guys who are saying The Fratellis are just the same as every other indie band, I understand. All you've heard is razorlight, the kooks, all that shit, which, you're right is just the same as any other indie band. But as I stated in my review...
    The Fratellis are in a league of their own, different from all the Indie bands on the British music scene, they just have a joyous, upbeat quality that no other band can bring.
    Just listen to the album (and Costello Music) and then come back and tell me how unindividual they are.
    RO$$
    frusciante39 wrote: i love people who say all indie bands sound alike, because they have failed to notice that all metal bands sound like a cat being slowly tortured during a thunderstorm
    I never said all that indie bands sound alike...it's just most of them sound very similar. To me most of it sounds like a very watered down version of many rock and punk bands that have been before. It's simply nothing new musically, i just find it very boring. "ALL metal music"...i'm sorry but i just laughed at what you wrote. Yes there is some bad metal as with all genres, but some of it is very good. You just have to open your mind and stop generalising. I'm sure i'd like some indie music, i'm not saying it's all bad. You clearly have never even tryed to listen to metal if that's what you feel about it. At least some metal bands feel the need to experiment rather than just reviving older music. A majority if not all of popular indy bands just try to keep there music safe, in order to appeal to the popular music audience. Fratelli's are one of the better indy bands i have to say, but i still don't like there music.
    frusciante39
    mallen i am
    amen to the rev rules i agree endlessly ive always liked the fratellis the songs just make me...happy even with the lack of imagination in that statement you know its true
    The Rev Rules
    Well its good that you do you research... Jons lyrics are one of the most important and integral parts of the Fratellis songs, he puts a lot of thought and effort into them. The only time he has ever said the lyrics are meaningless are on mistress mabel, and somehow i suspect theres hidden meanings behind certain parts, its just not telling a story. I think a lot of people on here and generally in this world need to listen to the music before they judge it. And i dont know why, but the fratellis strike the right chord within me, i think its the bluesy influence they have. Also they are so much better live, Jon is actually a really talented blues guitar player i think he is just too shy to show it. He reminds me a lot of Jack White and i think with the right choices they could become a lot less poppy, and more bluesy, like the raconteurs. And for me, well, that would be grand.
    mallen i am
    now now, why would jon say his lyrics have no meaning. no band would effectively say their lyrics are pointless. i think the only bullsh!t round heres the stuff thats coming out your mouth MerriQ my man
    MerriQ
    I believe the singer said "Don't listen to the lyrics, they mean nothing" so with no proper motive for this album (such as emotion or political meaning) then it shows the only motive for this album, is money, so screw that bullsh*t!
    Michalsonpoland
    the fratellis sound difference than Arctic Monkeys, The Kooks and other indie bands. They are so positive and i like new album.
    isabiggles
    i hate the british 'indie' scene. It's a fad that'll die out soon anyway. Indie is just emos twin that wasn't beaten up IMO.
    Thecla
    guitar-core wrote: I think that it's the little things (though some times they are very big) that separate one band from the other... To those who never heard either, Mozart is the same as Beethoven. To an indie guy, metal might sound like a lot of heavy riffs, and goth like nutjobs screaming or wtver. But metal fans will defer and so will goth fans. It just depends on your point of view and what's going on in your head.
    Totally Agree Let's get back to the album shall we?
    guitar-core
    logan_in_flight
    Well they're doing something right
    I ain't too sure they are doing something right mate. It has got so drab between all those "indie" bands that the general public just accepts whatever comes out. They are all pretty poor with average songs. Razorlight, Killers, Arctic Monkeys, The Fratellis, you nam it, they all sound alike, and last but noy least, COLDPLAY!