Here We Stand review by The Fratellis

• Released: Jun 9, 2008
The Fratellis: Here We Stand

Ok so, I've been a Fratellis fan ever since they first came out, they we're the first indie band I really took notice. In this album you can tell that the 'Fratellis Sound' has really moved on from the happy bouncing tunes like 'Chelsea Dagger' and onto something with more drive in the music. All the songs seem to have a story behind them, from Jesus to the Circus. A lot of the songs on this album have a Beatles sound to them which really suits the album. To be honest, this album isn't better than 'Costello Music' but it is on the same level, it's equally as good.

The lyrics, yet again, are fantastic, easily on par with the first album. The happy lyrics are still there and the song are still happy tune. The lyrics compliment the music perfectly, for example:- "Tell Me a Lie" has real driving intro, but the verse melody is like "Creeping up the Backstairs". It's a fantastic combination. Jon's voice has really developed since the last album and it's got a lot stronger, this can be heard in songs like "Look out Sunshine" and "A Heady Tale."

I think it compares to the first album in the fact that it isn't as bouncy as the first album but the sound is still there, it's just developed. The best songs on the album are 'Tell me a lie', 'My friend john' and a lovely acoustic number from Jon: 'Babydoll'. I love the songs, they're just different too all the other usual indie stuff. The only thing I don't like is that I miss the 'bouncieness' of the songs. If it got broke or anything like that, I would definitely buy it again or copy it from my friends.

cunning_stunt28
    What I want to know is, why are we on about other genres when we should be on about THE FRATELLIS?! If ya don't like it, don't listen. The Fratellis have two brilliant albums full of upbeat and rocking tunes, and they are amazing live. How will this world ever have brilliant musicians if everyone just wants to conform to a genre? Break the mould and make some cracking tunes. MON THE FRATELLIS!
    EmoxTastic
    Possibly the only two decent comments on the review.
    EmoxTastic
    If you don't like it then don't listen to it, no one's forcing you to. Indie bands may all sound the same to some people, but so do goth/pop/screamo/blues/jazz/any other sort of music(!) to other people.
    colinod07
    EmoxTastic wrote: AndyH wrote: God damnit why does EVERY thread on this stupid site turn into a genre war. If you don't like the band or the genre being reviewed, don't listen to them and shut up. NOBODY GIVES A SHIT SO STOP CLUTTERING UP THE COMMENTS. reelbigfish432 wrote: [quote]mallen i am wrote: AndyH for president if you dont like the music, dont slam it if you wanna go and moan about "unindividuality" then moan about it on a thread, or a forum, or whatever, that actually wants you to. this was designed to comment on THE BAND, not compare them to others its a review, you review the album, not compare the band to others and then slam them cos theyre "too the same". if you dont like them, then just steer clear. Possibly the only two decent comments on the review.
    AMEN TO THAT what is peoples obsession with genre if a song is good its good i dont care what pigeon hole people decide to stick it in
    rgtro
    First and foremost, the nature of existence is repetitive and second of all, you cant be original because black sabbath has already played every riff that could ever exist either slower or faster or backwards or upside down. Now, this is coming from a person who normally listens to death metal bands. It doesnt mater if they sound like everyone else. Be realistic. If someone enjoys writing music and is good at it, they try to get produced so they can make money. they dont care if i sounds like another band. its making them money. and frankly, if you have a wide variety of musical taste, you just like the first band of a genre you hear because its a break from what you usually listen to. in my case, the fratellis do an excellent job at quenching that musical thirst. so stop arguing and accept that every band cant be different.