The Fray review by The Fray

• Released: Feb 3, 2009
The Fray: The Fray

The Fray is the self titled second album from the critically acclaimed Denver Piano-Rock group. The group advanced their sound from their previous record, How TO Save A Life. The story is the same for the most part, mostly about love and a lot of pain. There is a very roots piano rock vibe the the record. This is a great follow up record to one of my favorite bands. As far as instruments, the drums take on a little bigger role, with more difficult beats mixed in, while the bass is mostly the same. The guitars are a little more prominent, with the lead mostly picking riffs and the rhythm playing along on either an acoustic or electric(in which case he is also playing more of a lead part.)

The lyrics on this record are a lot like how to save a life. There are spots of brilliance, however. The biggest stand out track to me is Happiness, which is a primarily acoustic song that is one of the most well written songs I have ever heard. I have seen the fray twice live, and they played this song both times. Issac Slade, the lead singer, seems to have developed his skills better of over well, and the backup singer, Joe King, has taken on more of a role in the album as well.

This album reminds me of such bands as counting crows amongst others. The album definitely moves more than how to save a life, with an almost danceable beat for a lot of the time. The overall sound of this album is great, and I am very satisfied with it. My overall impression of this album is very good.

LCR13
    This album is more of a grower. It sort of starts out different but then works it's way up to you.
    AwesomeDrummer
    contrary to what that review says, the fray aren't exactly "critically acclaimed". Their often labeled as a band with potential that lacks in imaginative thinking. Though i agree with that, i also believe their works are quite excellent in most parts. Their ep, "Reason" is exceptional.
    i think the fray is a nice band my favorite song of them is hundred it's beautiful