News And Tributes review by The Futureheads

• Released: Jun 13, 2006
The Futureheads: News And Tributes

It is clear that being on tour 24/7 has really affected the bands schedule, meaning a lot of the songs are unimaganintive, boring and in some cases awful(e.g. Return Of The Berserker). The guitarists still have the same obvious skill and talent but they are not being used as well or as often as they were in the last album. There is still the odd good song there though e.g. Skip To The End, Favours For Favours which keep the album in my CD rack. However as one of my current favourite bands, I was expecting a little better from The Futureheads.

If there is one bonus to this album it would have to be the lyrics to songs such as News and Tributes and Favours for Favours. The harmonies are fantastic and the music fits the lyrics perfectly. The lead singer (despite the obvious northern accent) has a wonderful voice for this type of band and the backing singers are also fantastic at the harmonies and occasionally come into the lead singer role themselves.

In My opinion not nearly as good as the last album, but if there is a third I'm sure there will be improvements, as songs like Skip To The End, Favours For Favours, Back To The Sea and Worry About It Later leave hope for the Futureheads' future (sorry bad joke). If it were stolen or lost I'm not sure I'd buy it again, I'd probably just save my money for the potential third album.