This Is Not The World Review

The Futureheads: This Is Not The World
Release Date: May 27, 2008
Label: MRI
Genres: New Wave/Post-Punk Revival, Indie Rock
The Futureheads have broken free of the record company shackles and returned with something both they and their fans can be very proud of.
 7.2
 7.7
 6.7
review (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
This Is Not The World Reviewed by: Bozjoarmstrong, on june 13, 2008

Sound: Thank God. After the awful dissapointment of News and Tributes The Futureheads have finally returned, bringing with them the scratchy guitar riffs and vocal harmonies that they are loved for, but this time, with something a little different. The album opener 'The Beginning Of The Twist' is different to anything The Futureheads have ever done. This is an epic song with overdriven guitars, pounding drums and just an overall driving rock feel. But after this the listener is taken straight back to The Futureheads they fell in love with 4 years ago with the catchy riffs and bouncy chorus of 'Walking Backwards'. This trend continues throughout the rest of the album, and perhaps one criticism of the album is that there is not one track that differs greatly from the rest. // 8

Lyrics: The obvious thing you notice about The Futureheads' vocals is the vocal harmonies and the semi-shouted lyrics. But I really like this. The Futureheads are frankly nothing special with their lyrics although there are a few good lines scattered throughout the album such as 'You had too much to think tonight' or 'The accent gets thicker, but the blood is getting thinner everyday'. But as I say, there is not too much to be said about the lyrics or vocals on this album. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, I was very impressed with this album, The Futureheads have broken free of the record company shackles which destroyed their second album 'News and Tributes' and returned with something both they and their fans can be very proud of. For me, highlights include 'The Beginning of the Twist', 'Think Tonight', 'Broke Up The Time' and 'Work Is Never Done'. The one thing that I love about this album is the fact that The Futureheads are back doing what they should be doing, the one thing that slightly dissappoints me is that they perhaps are not meeting their full potential. The 4th album will certainly be an interesting one. // 8

Comments