American Slang review by The Gaslight Anthem

• Released: Jun 15, 2010
The Gaslight Anthem: American Slang

This is turning in to my favourite album now. The sound is unique, a sound that no one else seems to master. The brilliant crossover of soul-punk is just phenomonal in the case of The Gaslight Anthem. After listening to this album you will wonder why they haven't had a huge recognition. Brian Fallon's (lead singer) voice echoes back to The Boss (Springsteen) and they use it to great effect. The guitar are dirty and distorted, keeping the whole sound relatively simple, and in this case, less is really more, with the rare usage of effects. And a great drummer really does help tie this band together, with a tight rhythm section.

The lyrics tell stories. And when brian sings them, you can see his is singing it from the heart, putting his all into whatever he is singing about, because these songs quite obviously have personal meaning to them. Some songs maybe telling the stories of a troubled childhood, some telling the stories of people that have come and gone, but there will be one song on here which you can relate too, and you will gain a personal meaning to the song aswell.

This album is on my top shelf. Nothing else quite compares to this. I bought this album having heard one or two good reviews, and I'm so glad I did. It is just an overall great rock album. It differs from there first album, showing a mellower side on songs like "The Queen of Lower Chelsea" and my personal favourite "The Diamond Church Street Choir". But there a songs in there for older fans aswell, keeping there authentic "'59 sound" sound on songs like "American Slang" and "The Spirit of Jazz" The lead guitarist provides slick melodies while the rhythm keeps things tight with open string chords and the usage of barre chords. The bassist and the drummer keep tight providing a solid basis for Brian and co. to really let loose their creative side and let the spine tingling vocals do the rest. There is not much more I can say, other than buy this album and see for yourself.:)

UndyingCarcass
    I dunno about this deep argument, but i thought the album was good. Its not an album that blows you away the first time you listen to it. But when you hear the songs a second time, its easy to get carried away in a foot tapping head nodding frenzy. The choruses i thought were the best i had seen from TGA . Boxer being my personal favourite on the album, very much reminded me of their other singles. These guys arent looking for world domination, they play a mix of indie rock that, yes, you do hear everyday, but i would still put it in my top albums of the year, compared to some of the other utter gash that gets churned out on the radio. I hope the next album produces the same slow, meandering songs with the same catchy vocals which is what drew me to them in the first place. 8/10