Get Hurt review by The Gaslight Anthem

• Released: Aug 12, 2014
The Gaslight Anthem: Get Hurt

The Gaslight Anthem's fifth album release "Get Hurt" is an album which is sure to bring different opinions to the table. Frontman Brian Fallon was very open about how this album was delving into sound that the band had previously untouched. The band appointed producer Mike Crossey who has previously worked with Arctic Monkeys. While it is an obvious change in sound, it still holds the recognizable Gaslight elements.

The band has spoke about how they couldn't keep creating the same sound over, and while this had me worrying at first, the result is a crisply produced album that only refreshes the bands sound. Gaslight have kept to the 2-4 minute formula and still rely on Alex Rosamilia's ace leads which established fans will be glad to hear.

Having gone through a divorce after 10 years marriage, Fallon has unsurprisingly gone to town on the theme of love and heartbreak but also moving on, much like how this albums signifies a career shift. While the lyrics are for the most part in typical Gaslight fashion and hold up to the sound, there is a certain lack of variation. It seems that the lyrics aren't quite the focus on this album, where it seemed to be on previous releases. Fallon's voice is as great as its ever been though, and at times reminded me of Alex Turner such as on "Selected Poems." If I had to pick a favourite lyrically speaking then I would pick "Halloween" which is sadly a bonus edition song.

This is not "Sink or Swim," "The '59 Sound," "American Slang" or "Handwritten." If it was then the band wouldn't have achieved what they wanted. While this album doesn't sound as intimate as previous albums and has been described as being too focused on achieving a arena-rock sound it does seem to be the most personal as Fallon's lyrics expresses his struggles more than any other release.

In particular I really like the opening track "Stay Vicious" for the way it blends a grungy intro into a blissful chorus. While some tracks may take multiple listens to grow, they prove that The Gaslight Anthem have the capability of having depth to their sound. While I think this is for the best, I can understand if other fans are put off. Fans of their older sound may prefer Brian's side-project Molly and the Zombies for the time being! But I'm gonna give this one a generous 8 as this album has not disappointed me at all.