Germs (Mia) - The Complete Anthology Review

artist: The Germs date: 08/06/2004 category: compact discs
The Germs: Germs (Mia) - The Complete Anthology
Released: Aug 3, 1993
Genre: Rock
(MIA) is everything one could ever want from the Germs in one perfect collection.
 9.4
 8.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Germs (Mia) - The Complete Anthology Reviewed by: emancrasher, on august 06, 2004

Sound: The Germs recorded this album way back from 1976-1980 until late in that year. The sound quality is actually pretty good (except for 3 of the recordings which were done under cheaper recording material and one of them was live). The other songs are great. Don Bolles had a great outlook on how he drums he doesn't just use simply drumming patterns he mixes them and he makes them sound sloppy but in the big picture it adds the amazing effect to the band. Pat Smear had a different taste in making his chords and the flow of them. That's what I like to do, is to figure out how he plays the riffs. Lorna plays bass. Not the hardest job. But the key to the band Darby! Edged singer but amazing talent. And they all tie in and that is what makes the Germs and this record great. My favourite record I've got so far (and I have quite a few). // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are different and straight from Darby's impressions of the world and stirred emotions he gets from just being alive. The lyrics are very strong and grab your mind if you really get a message. There's not a message in every song but all of them have a point. The lyrics go great with the music and Darby's good at mixing his tones to out beat the guitars and drums and have his own tune in his mind which ties in with the music. They're just that good. // 8

Overall Impression: To other albums I guess it compares too some of their live performances this being the only one they actually recorded in a studio. But I think many bands take a small piece from the germs and try and tie it into their music such as-chilli peppers-deadk's-nofx-the exceptions-and a few others. The impressive songs on the album would have to be all of them! But for the most part what we do is secret-communist eyes-my tunnel-not all right we must bleed-lexicon devil and then some! They're all great. I love how unique the germs playing style was. And I hate nothing about them except for how they can't play anymore - probably because Darby died! Rip back in December 1980. Drug Overdose, that's what I hate! If I ever lost this CD I'd have to go and get another one probably off E-bay because id miss listening too them and you can't download their songs, it's not the same quality. But if you haven't download something from them! You won't regret it. // 10

Comments