Returners review by The Ghost Inside

• Released: Jun 8, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
The Ghost Inside: Returners

Upon te album opening, the first thing that struck me was how much raw energy this album gives off; How much sheer power the band are packing into every beat. The track that opens the album is a short instrumental piece called "Walk Away From The World". The song cites impressive percussion work and some great guitar lines - both of these things are quite consistant throughout the album. What follows is an aggressive, high-otane number called "Greater Distance", which follows similar aspects to the opening song; fast, hard drums, roaring guitar lines and a pumping, relentless bass. All this, with the addition of vocals. The rest of the album keeps in with these characteristics, with the only exception of solos. "Between The Lines" and "Chrono", for example, show the guitarist playing well thought-out lines and riffs that aren't OTT or 'shredding', as it were. They're melodic and aren't even that distorted. A surprising, welcome touch to an album that is otherwise filled with rage, devoid of melody.

The vocals throughout the album are generally shouting - "Leave your melodies and harmonies at home, guys! Don't need them today." Of course, with this style of music, who needs harmony and melody? It's about power and aggression through music. Saying this, however, this style of 'singing' offers little or no diversity for the vocalist, leaving little to compliment on, or talk about. I love the group shouts in songs like "Unspoken" and "Overlooked" thought - they have such an incredible feel to them - that sense of unity. The lyrics themselves (after looking them up on the internet - I'd be damned if I could hear what he's saying without SOME help) are surprisingly well thought-out. Great wording and good image work. There is no rhyming schemes as such, which offers little in the way of catchy lines/hooks. But, does that matter? Really? If you like this kind of stuff, I suppose not.

I feel that this album offers no real musical diversity, compared to other bands that are around at the moment. I mean, I don't feel as though they're trying to break any moulds with this. The vocals are shouting throughout, the lyrics remain inaudible at many points. The music (though technically, not bad) are following the same 'law' that the previous rulers of this genre had set before them. As said previously, the guitar solos are the only thing that would really surprise anyone about this album, when you compare it to the rest of the music. Anyway, on the whole. This album isn't an essential, but it's a great listen if you're really into the 'shouty' (as a friend would call it), hardcore/metalcore kind of stuff, then it's a good listen. The energy and power is something that strikes anyone on first listen; that alone, is an achievment.

embracethisjosh
    bluntzilla2010
    terrible review, half of it isn't even spelled right lol. going to see them on the 28th, going to be bruutal
    MikeDee
    AHAHAH you gotta be ****ing kidding me. I don't like most hardcore/metalcore bands, but that review is just plain ridiculous, how it was front paged is even more puzzling. I mean this line alone is hilarious: "This album isn't an essential, but it's a great listen if you're really into the 'shouty' (as a friend would call it), hardcore/metalcore kind of stuff, then it's a good listen." wtf ??
    Jsteele1408
    MikeDee wrote: AHAHAH you gotta be ****ing kidding me. I don't like most hardcore/metalcore bands, but that review is just plain ridiculous, how it was front paged is even more puzzling.
    It was front paged because it was (poorly) written by a member of the UG Team.
    MH400
    Crappy review, in all honesty. The album is good. I'll probably post a review soon-ish.
    BwareDWare94
    How is this reviewer part of the UG team? For Christ's sake it's tough to read this BS. Isn't knowing how to properly use the English language key to writing a review ? Also...learn a few things about music too. C'mon UG!
    MikeDee
    Jsteele1408 wrote: It was front paged because it was (poorly) written by a member of the UG Team.
    Wow. I think whoever is in charge of the site should think twice before accepting this kind of reviewer in their team. Not only that review is a shame to the whole site, but this is a guitar based site whose reviewers don't know shit about the hardcore genre ? Oh come on UG
    TimmyNL
    I never logon to this site, but seeing this review, man UG!!! wtf is with this reviewer his head should be on a stake, I dont even really like hardcore im more into Death Metal, But this album is just great, its everything what hardcore should be, sure there is shouting, but the vocalists shouting is brutal. It just brings the message over to the people, this album is pure energy and devotion. This review doesnt do the band any good imho, and this band deserves ALOT of respect *srry for the bad english*
    KurdtStaley
    I'm shocked UG would let this guy post a review as part of the UG Team. He can hardly write. His grammar is poor, and he often uses words that just don't make sense. For example; "The vocals are shouting throughout, the lyrics remain inaudible at many points." inaudible means that they cannot be heard, but you just said that they're "shouting" which would imply they're actually quite loud. Indistinguishable would be the correct word choice.
    ndschroede23
    "The energy and power is something that strikes anyone on first listen; that alone, is an achievement." Thanks for, the inappropriate comma.
    andrewjp123
    man, i hate this genre of music, and i dunno what the band is like, but i just need to post that you CANNOT make a review for a band or genre that you CLEARLY hate.This has been the most biased thing i ever read.
    protestthesky
    This review sounds like it came from one of those older classic rock elitists who hates all modern stuff. Regardless, can anyone tell me if these guys are worth looking into? I listen to quite a bit of heavy stuff so the screaming wouldn't be a problem for me :b as long as they fit with the music and don't seem forced then i'm fine.
    hyper5
    This album is the most original and well done hc album I've listened to in quite awhile. The guy reviewing this needs to be fired.
    MustangMan311
    embracethisjosh wrote: Please never let this guy review any album in the metal or hardcore genre ever again. Leave the melodies and harmonies at home? Jesus Christ, I would be completely irritated with how ignorant he is if I wasn't laughing at how idiotic he sounds when he says shit like that. If you don't listen the the genre, why in the hell are you even TRYING to review an album. The only reason you feel that this album has no diversity is because you're still in the phase of calling the vocals "shouting."
    Seriously. Dude has no idea how to review a metalcore band. GTFO.
    BradleyyJohn
    Can't help but get the feeling the individual who reviewed this album, doesn't like hardcore music. Which raises the question, why the **** is he reviewing an album, which is in a genre that he does not like? Results in a rather biased review, that does not help anyone, especially the people who actually were curious about the album (myself included).
    Jsteele1408
    Also, the tagline for the review should portray the general feeling of the review... I open the review and see "The energy and power is something that strikes anyone on first listen; that alone, is an achievment" (complete with incorrect spelling), only to find out that the album was given a 5.7 A little misleading, eh?
    oxymorcide
    hmmm.. the reviewer doesnt need to like the album to review it. I think he didnt do anything wrong, he gave his honest impression. Sure, someone with more knowledge of hardcore bands and terms could have done a better job, but doesnt look like anyone did. Anyway, checked this out... not that impressed, but its still pretty good. 7-8/10.
    Eurasian_C
    Ultimate Guitar seems to have problems with getting people well-versed in the specific genre to review albums. This album was a great album and deserves a better review.
    feedmeforest
    ah, kinda weak. this album is great. everysong is so passionate. between the lines is awesome, the betrayal guys part is awesome too.
    synestershadows
    This is the WORST review ever. This album is great. And if you can't understand Vigil, then you definitely aren't a hardcore fan. He has a pretty clear voice. I gave the album an 8/10.
    KsE3234
    is this guy smoking crack, this album is really catchy and pummels you at the same time, it's such a biased review, i think i'll write my own