This Is Where The Fight Begins review by The Ghost of a Thousand

• Released: Feb 19, 2007
The Ghost of a Thousand: This Is Where The Fight Begins

Emerging from a renewed UK hardcore punk scene headed mainly by Gallows, (The) Ghost Of A Thousand are a teenage quintet spawned from the respected Brighton music scene and from the first blasts of the first track on the album Bored Of Math there not here to muck about. The sheer power of singer Tom Lacey's vocal chord tearing screams, Jag and Andy's ferocious guitar attacks, Gez'a groove laden bass and Memby's pounding machine gun drumming is utterly unyielding and never falters. You won't find no fillers in this record.

Unsurprisingly the lyrics, like many hardcore bands, are nothing special. As there are no lyrics are printed in the sleeve it is also hard to decipher many of the meanings of songs but they all seem to be about the life of angst ridden teens, so nothing unique there. But the lyrics do work very well with the songs and are never lost in the background of the music.

This is an excellent debut effort from GOAT. Every song brims with stomping riffery matched only by fellow bands such as Poison the Well and Gallows although the riffs are a lot more meaty than Gallows. I also particularly like the quiter moments of the songs, although few and far in-between the groovy bassing and drumming builds up to mountainous choruses/screams that brings shivers down ones spine. Tracks such as Bored of Math, One For the Road and No one ever gives you a straight answer are ear drum busting moshing masterpeices. There are also two punky epics in the form of the slightly more melodic The last bastion of heaven lies burned and abandoned and the powerhouse that is As they breed they swarm. The CD itself comes with little information on the sleeve side of things but what's to expect from a little known underground punk band? I arguably think that this album is the best debut album to emerge from the hardcore punk scene and I hope that GOAT reach the heights of punk stardom that only Gallows have acheived recently. I would definatlely buy this album again if it were stolen/lost.

jubeikibagami
    Weird. I'm not sure i will listen to them since they sound like a snot nose band. With the title "Bored of Math" seems to me they are not that bright. But hey i never heard them before so i could be wrong.
    Meatball200
    ^ They're not a bunch of slackjaws. If you like Refused check these guys out. They're ballsier than Gallows too.
    reelbigfish432
    With the title "Bored of Math" seems to me they are not that bright.
    By that logic, BFMV have a hand covered in blood, and Dillinger Escape Plan have a lizrd made out of milk. TGOAT are amazing, 10 times better than Gallows.
    blackdakhma
    jubeikibagami wrote: With the title "Bored of Math" seems to me they are not that bright.
    I'm fairly intelligent and I'm easily bored of math. Your logic is not so keen. Also, they're from Brighton. Of course, they're bright.